Favorite stock pot for soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a plastic mixing bowl w/spout from Walmart - $8 or so for the smaller batches

But I use the oil containers for my larger batches - the ones from WSP hold enough for 8lb batches! and they were "free" (well, free if you think the price you paid was only for the oil!)

So is there anything specific I need to think about when looking for some plastic containers? Obviously I'd prefer a lip and handle, but besides that, are there specific types of plastics that will or will not work?

How large of one would you get? 2 gallon maybe?

Melamine isn't your best bet - it's not microwave safe and is very brittle.

I'd suggest looking for "dishwasher safe" - even if you don't put in the dishwasher - just gives an indication of being tough and ok with the heat.

I bought my SS pot at Big lots, and it wasn't very expensive....but then again that was years ago.

Pyrex and soaping DO NOT mix. Ever.

Any kind of glass, actually. Be safe, use micro safe plastic or stainless steel.

Deda - is glass not even safe for mixing the soap, once the lye and oils are combined? I mean, it doesn't feel terribly hot to the touch?

SudsyKat, have you ever seen pyrex shatter? Just sitting on the shelf and shatter into a million pieces?

Do you really want to risk that happening when it's filled with raw soap?

It's one thing if it's milk, pancake batter or spaghetti sauce. That would be inconvenient and messy. Raw soap would be potentially extremely dangerous.

I've never had Pyrex shatter, but I believe you. I'm never sure what plastic is safe to use, though. How do you know?

Like Carebear said, anything that says "Dishwasher Safe" is usually ok to soap with.

I like buckets.

Thanks for the info. I really had no idea that using a glass pyrex could be dangerous! I'm going shopping tomorrow to search for microwave safe plastic!

I bought some heavy duty plastic pancake batter bowls at Walmart for 3 bucks each a couple weeks ago. They hold about a gallon each, have a nice large handle like the Pyrex measuring cups. So far, they've been wonderful.

Do you guys have one of those food fresh keeper dodads? You know the ones that suck air out of special plastic bags? I use one of the plastic containers they came with. They have special lids to attach the tube to and my family lost one of the little rubber plugs so the lid won't seal on one. The plastic they use is extremely heavy duty and I just had it sitting in the basement and decided to try it. The absolute best to use, takes the microwave, I can mix lye in it, I can mix a small batch of soap in it. Don't know if you can purchase them seperate but if you aren't using one of those, try it! It's the first thing I grab now when making soap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stainless- ... 94829.html
4 stainless steel pots $30
I like to HP double boiler style so this was a gem of a find (Plus it was driving distance for my in woodbridge nj!) That site had LOTS of cheap (Inexpensive but also some 'cheap') Items
CP - I measure my solids right in my pot and put on to melt
Measure my liquid oils in a $1 store bucket.
Add my melted (100 -110 degrees) to my room temp in the bucket ... add my lye water - a breeze. I make 3 lb usually loaves.

Have fun, good luck and be safe!

I have a pitcher that I picked up a while back when I was at Wholesalesuppliesplus. the link is for one that looks somewhat like what I got. It is great as I can put it on the stove, (I don't use a microwave for my soaping) and handle afterward to pour soap into molds...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=823

I like stainless steel as it is easy to clean up and I don't worry about plastic possible getting into my soaps or other bath products that I make.

meadowyck said:
I have a pitcher that I picked up a while back when I was at Wholesalesuppliesplus. the link is for one that looks somewhat like what I got. It is great as I can put it on the stove, (I don't use a microwave for my soaping) and handle afterward to pour soap into molds...

I like stainless steel as it is easy to clean up and I don't worry about plastic possible getting into my soaps or other bath products that I make.

Those look neat! A little pricey for me right now, but maybe after Christmas when I have a bit more $$. :)

chrisnkelley said:
meadowyck said:

Those look neat! A little pricey for me right now, but maybe after Christmas when I have a bit more $$. :)

http://www.thefind.com/query.php?query= ... ss+pitcher
Try that ... 3 for $54

Back