Favorite Luxury Oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cursivearts

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone liked to add to their soap as lesser luxury oils? I am planning on expanding and experimenting and want to know what other people like and why. I recently formulated a shea bar that is lovely and actually moisturizes my normally itchy skin, but was looking into sweet almond, wheat germ, apricot kernal and mango butter to name a few, and just wanted to know other soapers' real life experiences with them.

I stick to cheaper oils. I made soap with shea butter, avocado oil and hemp oil but didn't notice much difference with soaps made with my standard recipe of olive/coconut/sesame/palm/castor/palm kernel oils. But I do have to admit I have an "easy skin".

I love shea and cocoa butters. So smooth and moisturizing. Also ordered apricot kernal for its anti-aging properties. I would love to try avacado but lately I have trouble eating it so I'm afraid to put it on my skin in case it's an allergy.

I just made this kit over the weekend -- first time making soap! I also made another batch using the same recipe but measuring by hand -- put in a round PVC mold -- but since this was my very first batch of soap, I let it trace too much and it was thick like pudding. Now waiting 4 weeks to cure!

Robin in NC

Love love love avocado oil! Avocado oil and shea & cocoa butters are the most expensive that I will put in soap, really. Soap is a wash off product so I feel more expensive oils are better off in lotions, creams and body butters where they can actually have a chance to show what they can do.

The only oil i have tried that i consider a luxury oil is jojoba. I think it makes my soap extra moisturizing and silky feeling. Ive tried different butters, but i didnt realize they were considered luxury. I havent tried the same recipe without so i dont know if it was enhanced by using them specifically.

Love love love avocado oil! Avocado oil and shea & cocoa butters are the most expensive that I will put in soap, really. Soap is a wash off product so I feel more expensive oils are better off in lotions, creams and body butters where they can actually have a chance to show what they can do.

When I started soaping I wanted to bring exotic oils in soaps because I thought it would compliment our salon products. But about this time the prices in those exotic oils took a major leap. Good thing almond ans apricot oils do just as food a job!

I love sweet almond oil and shea. The shea I use at 20% with some tussah silk and really notice the difference. I have used avocado and really did not notice a difference but only used 10%.

I use avocado at 15-20% and it feels like a luxury oil to me. I like it better than shea.

Back