Farm fresh eggs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eggs last a LONG time.....I have 35 chickens and Im getting about 20 eggs a day right now....8 x 18 packs in the fridge! LOL. Ive had them in there for 3 months at a time with no problem at all.

In the summer the eggs are really clean so I wash them as I need them but when its rainy and sloppy out they get muddy from muddy chicken feet so I do wash them before I put them in the fridge. They do stay longer if you don't wash them though. There is a bloom on them that keeps them protected and air-tight.

Freaking sooooooo cute Love the baby chicks!

I like regular fried eggs and scrambled. Farm fresh ones just taste better and have a better texture.

liz, have you ever tried refrigerator pickled eggs? I'm not big on them but my family is. They like me to use the Mrs. Wages Dill pickle mix you can get in the canning section of the store. But they like it with a bit more vinegar added than the instructions call for. And the hubby likes me to add hot stuff to his. I really only like them chopped up and added to other foods, like potato salad, chicken salad etc.

liz, have you ever tried refrigerator pickled eggs? I'm not big on them but my family is. They like me to use the Mrs. Wages Dill pickle mix you can get in the canning section of the store. But they like it with a bit more vinegar added than the instructions call for. And the hubby likes me to add hot stuff to his. I really only like them chopped up and added to other foods, like potato salad, chicken salad etc.

I'm not big on anything pickled really, unless they are fresh from the garden cucumbers that you marinate in vinegar-those are the only pickles I will touch :)

I like many pickled things. But pickled eggs is just not my #1. I really don't understand why my fam are so into them. They devour them! I have to hide them towards the back of the fridge so they can sit long enough to really get a good 'pickle' before they eat them.

What I would really like to try is a Scotch Egg. I have seen them made and seen recipes quite a few times but never tried it. Maybe I will when my young Layers get started with their egg laying.

Again, so jealous of your chickens! Maybe some day down the road if we move to a country home...

:sad: Wish you could too. I live in a small town, so its ok for us to have them. Many towns allow it, with some rules attached.

So where did you get all the eggs from then?

I've got nearly 20 chooks so I'm overrun with eggs just now. .. bit of a famine and feast going n because I prefer rare breeds which lay hardly any eggs through the winter but live longer than hybrid hens. Made lemon curd yesterday, baked cheesecake today snd it's not really made a dent in the egg mountain. .. they are funny characters though, I love having them around. Just don't let them near your flower garden, they will merrily scratch it up in search of bugs :)

:sad: Wish you could too. I live in a small town, so its ok for us to have them. Many towns allow it, with some rules attached.

So where did you get all the eggs from then?

My mother in law works with someone who has a bunch of chickens, so she brought me a bunch this weekend! We all had scrambled eggs for breakfast of course!

I have chickens as well. One of our favorite snacks to make is Egg Custard with nutmeg, topped with a mound
of homemade whipped cream. A great year round treat that you can dress up to your liking.
We love our girls!

Oh, I nearly forgot, chef Raymond blanc has a recipe for a lemon cake which uses 5 eggs. It's really, really yummy :) just Google it.:cool:

I'm so envious of your chickens lsg and Angelmomma! Thanks for the suggestions. One more question for you two especially since you have lots of eggs on hand ;) What would you say the in the fridge shelf life of the eggs are if they haven't been washed? (someone once told me if they were washed they don't last as long...never really understood if that was true!)
I always wash my eggs before putting them in the refrigerator. I think the danger of contaminants is worse than the danger of shortened shelf life in unwashed eggs. Cold storage eggs from the store are kept stored for much longer than my farm eggs.

Last edited:
I have chickens as well. One of our favorite snacks to make is Egg Custard with nutmeg, topped with a mound
of homemade whipped cream. A great year round treat that you can dress up to your liking.
We love our girls!

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but we will be needing your
egg custard with nutmeg recipe here in the food & spirits forum. Please?
Pretty Please, even??

A hen will usually lay one egg every other day. Sometimes they will lay one egg each day, if they are young hens. But you need to know that hens go through what is called a molt, when they lose old feathers to be replaced with new. They stop laying for several months during this time.

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but we will be needing your
egg custard with nutmeg recipe here in the food & spirits forum. Please?
Pretty Please, even??

Hello Everyone, I hope you all had a nice Mother's Day!
:p Here it is Smee, happy to oblige, but I can't take credit for it. I got the recipe from this website. http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Cooking/Dessert/dessert-egg-custard.html

Bernice Knoll is a sweet lady from Oregon, who kindly posted all of her recipes online. Many wonderful old fashioned recipes, (and great practical kitchen knowledge), that remind me so much of my own grandmother. My husband loves this recipe for the same reasons-it's
traditional, and tasty either warm from the oven or cold-year round!
I use a slightly less sugar than the recipe calls for, and grate whole nutmeg on top....and of course homemade whipped cream!

Enjoy!

Back