Farm fresh eggs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone, I hope you all had a nice Mother's Day!
:p Here it is Smee, happy to oblige, but I can't take credit for it. I got the recipe from this website. http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Cooking/Dessert/dessert-egg-custard.html

Bernice Knoll is a sweet lady from Oregon, who kindly posted all of her recipes online. Many wonderful old fashioned recipes, (and great practical kitchen knowledge), that remind me so much of my own grandmother. My husband loves this recipe for the same reasons-it's
traditional, and tasty either warm from the oven or cold-year round!
I use a slightly less sugar than the recipe calls for, and grate whole nutmeg on top....and of course homemade whipped cream!

Enjoy!

OMG! I think I found my grandma...okay, maybe my mom if you
must be age-picky...still, what an amazing website! And from my short
time on there already, what an amazing couple! Thank you for sharing :thumbup:

I get them from a local farm (yes, NYC has lots of local farms!) with the bloom intact, so I don't even refrigerate them. I'm a single gal and I go through a little over a dozen a week. I love to make fritatta with whatever veggies I have that I need to use up, as well as quiche. My favorite way to eat them is poached over a nice piece of nutty bread, or over rutebega hash in the winter.

OMG! I think I found my grandma...okay, maybe my mom if you
must be age-picky...still, what an amazing website! And from my short
time on there already, what an amazing couple! Thank you for sharing :thumbup:

Oh I Know! I've spent allot of time at this website, and learn something new everytime. I'm glad your enjoying it.

I don't have chickens right now and I really miss them! Besides all the wonderful fresh eggs, they also provide endless hours of entertainment. My brother has chickens so I do at least get the fresh eggs. I've made thousands of deviled eggs over the years, but for some reason I had never made egg salad until a couple of months ago. When researching recipes, I found that just about anything goes in egg salad. My new fave has lots of chopped red onions that have soaked in water for a few minutes, then drained, and lots of celery. Those are the main ingredients besides eggs - a little salt, some prepared mustard, a little dill (or I've used dill pickle juice in a pinch), just enough mayo to make it stick together - yummy.

I would like to get some chickens. How many eggs does a hen lay each day?

You might want to do some research on what breed will be good for your location etc. My favorite for many reasons is called Red Sex Link. They aren't pigs (meaning they don't eat a ton of feed). If you let them free range they are great foragers. Great temperament, not too flighty. And they are superb at laying early, laying large(mine have always laid extra large size eggs for at least 2 years. Then down to large) and laying often, sometimes everyday. And when they molt they don't slow down too much. They also lay for a long time compared to some of the other breeds I have tried.

There are many breeds though that would give similar results. If you do searches online you will find a TON of information about different breeds. I like the backyardchicken forum. There are lots of pictures, experienced breeders and backyard keepers like me.

Some other nice breeds I have had over the years are Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock, Golden Lace Wyandott, Ameracauna(they often lay light green shelled eggs, very pretty. 4-6per week), Silver Seabright, small white eggs, White Crested Polish, small white eggs. These have all been reliable for us here in the hot South. This year we have a few new breeds for trying......Mottled Houdans, Silkies(maybe we can start hatching our own babies???) and some pretty white Bantams.

There seems to be a chicken for every situation out there.

Egg Picture

I took this picture for my Dad awhile back. He doesn't live near me. I love all the different pretty colors.

I would LOVE to keep some Marans some day (I think I have the name right). They lay a gorgeous chocolate colored egg!

http://maransofamericaclub.com/page1.php OH! I was right! This link has pics of the chocolate colored eggs. So pretty!

eta: I didn't realize until I posted that you can't really see the green color of the Ameracauna eggs in the top center of the pic :( It is a light green.

2013-03-21_18-51-16_350.jpg

I challenge every one of of you to purchase farm fresh eggs sometime if you have never tried them. You will love how orange the egg yolk is in comparison to grocery store eggs! I used to be able to buy them from a co-worker who has a farm, but when the weather got cold her hens stopped laying (she thinks they are getting old), so I was left seeking out a new egg dealer. I've resorted to buying them from the store because of this. So when my MIL showed up last weekend with 4 dozen farm fresh eggs, I was in heaven! But...it's just 2 of us...and that's a lot of eggs.

What are some of your favorite ways to dress up the incredible, edible, egg?

I haven't had a farm fresh egg in years.
Now I just buy range free eggs from the health foods store. With are still better for you than a lot of store bought. I'm still looking for some pasture eggs. Till then I'm out of luck, my moms boyfriend got rid of his chickens and I can't find any farmers that sell them within 100 miles from here

When I was in my 20's (a hundred years ago, at least) and full of unrequieted romantic notions :) I read a novel that I randomly pulled from the public library shelves. It was set in Tennessee during the civil war... involved a young widow who was running the farm all by herself... a dashing hero rode in from Alabama and, of course, they fell in love. I can't for the life of me remember the title, but the young widow raised buff Orpingtons so I just had to have me some buff Orpingtons. Gorgeous hens, wonderful brown eggs, big old scary roosters. :) Ahhh.... those were the days.

Years later I raised silver sebrights, golden sebrights, cochins, silkies (nature's incubators!), and a pair of very pretty and stately long tailed Japanese. All of those were tons of fun, but of course their eggs could not compare to the Orpingtons.

If you need to keep eggs for an extended time, you can coat them with mineral oil. You need to wear gloves as you do this, and turn them over once a month. If you want to learn more about doing this, check out some of the preppers' websites.

Back