Fancy Extras? Does it really make a differance?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2scents

Reaction score
How many of you add Shea Butter, Lanolin, Silk fibers to your soaps on a regular basis ?
Does it really make a differance ?

I have a great recipe as it is but, I wonder if I added MORE stuff maybe even goats milk and all the stuff above then what would it be like?

i add silk to every batch. i havent tried lanolin yet and prefer to use the butters in leave on products. :)
that's just me though, there are many who love both lanolin and shea butter etc in their soaps.

i add silk, clay, shea butter and some kind of milk to almost every batch, sodium lactate and sugar to most. i'm really, really allergic to lanolin, so avoid it like the plague.

and yes, i do think it makes a difference. when i compare my earlier bars, made without the extras, to the ones i'm making now with the extras, the new ones are SO much nicer -- creamier, more lather, silky, moisturizing and altogether more satisfying for my skin...

I use shea sometimes - it's one of my oils.

I used to use silk but never noticed a difference (I often forgot it anyway). I am thinking of using sodium lactate, and some antioxidants but still considering what that means in terms of my "handmade from scratch" image.

I've never found sugar to do anything either, but then again I make uber bubbly soap anyway.

Clay I reserve for shaving soaps. I have dry skin and the last thing I want is anything like that in there. Oatmeal I avoid - I've found it to be quite drying.

I use buttermilk a LOT. Any milk is nice.

Never tried lanolin - don't know why I would. Don't use any expensive oils, either. And gah!!! no EMU! Ick.

You know, I've always been curious about that that same topic.

So far I've read you can add the following:
Sugar or Honey
Egg yolks
Beer
Coffee
Tea
Milk(s) of all kinds
Silk
Clays
Vitamin E (and others too)
Sodium Lactate
Coffee grounds
Oatmeal
Seeds (poppy, blueberry, strawberry)
Butters of all kinds (including Bluberry and Coffee)

And goodness knows what else....

Right, wrong or indifferent...I've heard of or seen this stuff either used or advertised to be used in soaps.

I've often wondered why kind of soaps you'd get if you added them all! In one batch. LOL! :wink: Imagine would that'd be like.

I like the idea of adding an extra here or there... I've added Vitamin E before. Still waiting for a good long cure before I can decide if it's worth it. It's just really difficult to decide if, what and why. Or just use the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid) :roll:

I'm curious to see what others will chime in with.

Alot of the added extra I find... 'for me'... change the texture & feel of the soap. There is a DEFINITE difference between my oatmeal milk & honey soap compared to my chocolate soap. The oatmeal is scrubby & I love it. The chocolate soap is silky & smooth.
I like what additives do to my soap.
As for weather the 'benifits' of the additives survive the lye is another story............

I've started adding tussah silk because I have noticed a difference in the feel of the soap. I also like the creaminess from whipping cream. I think it makes the lather feel more luxuriant. I try to keep CO 25% or less and beer really adds a lot of bubbles.

Stuff I don't notice:
----------------------
Silk - liquid form or Tussah
most pureed veggies ( i like cucumber tho for looks)
Honey - accelerates and darkens but i can't feel a difference
Most exotic oils - add little (except Neem - that one is scary)

Stuff I do notice:
---------------------
Hard butters like shea or a Cocoa/Mango combo
Sugar in my HP soap
Sodium Lactate in my HP soap
Castor oil
Milks or milk powders
Coffee as liquid & occasional grounds (seems to help take odors out of
my hands like after chopping onions or garlic)
i like scrubbies like oatmeal, luffa, coffee, cornmeal

cocoa powder makes brown bubbles and stains tubs/sinks
if too much is used. I use it sparingly now as colorant.

love clays for facial bars - notice the colors nicely and
if too much is used they can have a clay type
"drawing" effect

charcoal is awesome colorant and if too much is used
can feel scratchy or texture difference but can also
have a "drawing effect" on skin

Have fun :)

Thanks Mayren!
Your response really helped me steer some of my new recipe ideas! thanks

paillo said:
i add silk, clay, shea butter and some kind of milk to almost every batch, sodium lactate and sugar to most. i'm really, really allergic to lanolin, so avoid it like the plague.

and yes, i do think it makes a difference. when i compare my earlier bars, made without the extras, to the ones i'm making now with the extras, the new ones are SO much nicer -- creamier, more lather, silky, moisturizing and altogether more satisfying for my skin...

what percentage of those additives do you use? I have never used any additives (other than exfoliants) I would love to try it - but I do everything in % percentages

please reply

Stacey said:
You know, I've always been curious about that that same topic.

So far I've read you can add the following:
Sugar or Honey
Egg yolks
Beer
Coffee
Tea
Milk(s) of all kinds
Silk
Clays
Vitamin E (and others too)
Sodium Lactate
Coffee grounds
Oatmeal
Seeds (poppy, blueberry, strawberry)
Butters of all kinds (including Bluberry and Coffee)

And goodness knows what else....

Right, wrong or indifferent...I've heard of or seen this stuff either used or advertised to be used in soaps.

I've often wondered why kind of soaps you'd get if you added them all! In one batch. LOL! :wink: Imagine would that'd be like.

I like the idea of adding an extra here or there... I've added Vitamin E before. Still waiting for a good long cure before I can decide if it's worth it. It's just really difficult to decide if, what and why. Or just use the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid) :roll:

I'm curious to see what others will chime in with.

I used beer last night ! and it makes a pretty bar! It is still curing so I havent tried it yet... of course! however, i didnt add any eo's or fo's just beer (as the liquid to my lye solution) and it has a very nutty/hoppy aroma... and the color is very light :) i will take photos later. I added crushed walnut for exfoliation

I use Shea and like it.
I've used lanolin in very small amounts but unless it's medical grade/deodorized it smells like sheep.
Oatmeal can make a bar scratchy. Next time I may just make the oatmilk and leave out the ground oatmeal.
I've never tried silk.
I like the look of flower buds/petals with soap but I think it can be messy for use.
I'm starting to lean toward a simple cp soap as my preference. A sugar scrub/cube to exfoliate (rather than expecting it from a soap).
I still like to experiment with different oils, butters but am starting to lean toward using them separately as moisturizers afterward .... instead of risking/losing their benefits during saponification.

Latest posts

Back