Extracts and Absoluts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogsong

Reaction score
I have some Rose Absolute and Jasmine Absolute and also some almond extract and peppermint extract. Can these be used in soap recipes??

Rose and jasmine absolutes are so expensive, why not use them in lotion or cream. Some extracts contain alcohol which would probably not work well in soap

Thank you, lsg. I originally bought the absolutes to make lotions, but somehow I got an idea they were harsh for the skin. I can't recall now where I got that idea...

Rose Absolute and Jasmine Absolute are actually used in a lot of skin care, especially for mature, aging, or dry skin...their exorbitant price makes it a better fit for a leave on product than for soap :shock:

This is very exciting! They smell soooo good and I have been sooo wanting to use them!! I feel a lotion-making session coming on... 8)

frogsong said:
Thank you, lsg. I originally bought the absolutes to make lotions, but somehow I got an idea they were harsh for the skin. I can't recall now where I got that idea...

Possibly because absolutes are hexane extracted and if they come from less developed parts of the world some hexane can still be present in the finished absolute. Its common to see some absolute bashing by natural proponents based on this fear. Sure, we'd all like to douse ourselves in steam distilled rose otto but its price prohibitive. :roll:

Absolutes are about x10 stronger than essential oils, dilute accordingly. :wink:

Latest posts

Back