Explosion in Popularity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The topic has derailed, but I've gotten my answer and this new topic is worthy of discussion.

Bottom line, it depends on the person. So the real argument is, which one is the majority? People who try things one time and base future trials on the product based on that experience. Or those smart enough to realize quality may depend on the person making said product.

The topic has derailed, but I've gotten my answer and this new topic is worthy of discussion.

Bottom line, it depends on the person. So the real argument is, which one is the majority? People who try things one time and base future trials on the product based on that experience. Or those smart enough to realize quality may depend on the person making said product.

Or those smart enough to realize quality may depend on the person making said product.

I really don't think you want to go there. You got your answer that the majority of the members here think you need to make soap for a LONG time before trying to sell. Now, it's your choice whether you choose to listen or not.

And BTW I can turn your statement around on you.

Or those smart enough to realize quality comes from experience at making soap and testing and watching and making sure you are producing a quality item BEFORE bringing it to market.

I worked in a gift shop that had a policy against buying handmade soap - the owners had enough of trying out poor quality product and short lived businesses. When I was training as a buyer a pair of women stopped in to make their pitch - the soaps were gorgeous, the scents were good, the pricing was competitive and the packaging and paperwork looked professional. Boss said she'd think about it. When they left she said no.

They left a box of full sized samples, everyone chose their favorite scent and that was the end of it for a while. But I was madly in love with the soap. It felt good and lasted a long time, but most importantly the scent drove me crazy. Oakmoss. When I took over buying bath products I wanted to add their line. The company had vanished - phone didn't work, website was for sale. No response to email (at that point I would have begged for a case of the amazing Oakmoss soap just for myself).

So a couple lessons there - as everyone has been saying, a bad experience with handmade soap can ruin business opportunities for others. Another lesson is to consider what has been said on other threads about pricing. Now that I make soap I know they priced their soap too low trying to get their feet in the door. They were also the only company that gave us a box of full sized samples - they must have been hemorrhaging money and couldn't stay afloat long enough to get our business.

In the course of my years as a buyer I was approached by other artisanal soapmakers. I said no.

I worked in a gift shop that had a policy against buying handmade soap - the owners had enough of trying out poor quality product and short lived businesses. When I was training as a buyer a pair of women stopped in to make their pitch - the soaps were gorgeous, the scents were good, the pricing was competitive and the packaging and paperwork looked professional. Boss said she'd think about it. When they left she said no.

They left a box of full sized samples, everyone chose their favorite scent and that was the end of it for a while. But I was madly in love with the soap. It felt good and lasted a long time, but most importantly the scent drove me crazy. Oakmoss. When I took over buying bath products I wanted to add their line. The company had vanished - phone didn't work, website was for sale. No response to email (at that point I would have begged for a case of the amazing Oakmoss soap just for myself).

So a couple lessons there - as everyone has been saying, a bad experience with handmade soap can ruin business opportunities for others. Another lesson is to consider what has been said on other threads about pricing. Now that I make soap I know they priced their soap too low trying to get their feet in the door. They were also the only company that gave us a box of full sized samples - they must have been hemorrhaging money and couldn't stay afloat long enough to get our business.

In the course of my years as a buyer I was approached by other artisanal soapmakers. I said no.
I gave up several years ago trying to get my foot in the doors of brick and mortors. After 7 yrs I am still going strong and my products and labeling are recognized in any almost any market I attend within a 50 mile range. As for wholesale, I finally lost interest with the stress of trying to get into stores and the low price they want to pay. It just does not pay me to hassle it.

Selling the bad soap, is killing the market for others, I have tons of customers that they bought soap from a business and they hate it, I waste a lot of sampling for this reason, and it does not come free to me.
On the other hand, I wonder how many customers you have gotten who bought or were given a gift of hand made soap from a "non-professional" and they loved it so much they went straight to the craft show/farmer's market to buy more soap.

A few months is not even close to enough time to start selling. At this time you cannot even know a good soap from a bad soap. It takes months and months of testing. Plus if selling you should have insurance. There are good threads on selling in this forum. I would wonder why you are not just making 1-2 lb batches at this point, 22 bars is a lot of waste if a batch goes south. Believe me when I say they can and will go south when it is the least unexpected.

One if my favorite batches is starting to go bad. I can't tell if it is smelling off or not but there is some discoloration on the top of it. At least I have one las bar in the bathroom. I also found that the slither of the previous soap (same batch) is very malleable. Good thing I didn't give it to anyone.

I wouldn't consider it a matter of personality and/or intelligence. It's more of an economics issue.
Handmade soap comes with an average $5-$10/bar price range. If the soap isn't great (much less total crap), why bother paying that much when you can buy what you've always used for a fraction of the price?
And per the people making said product? In my experience working craft fairs/markets/festivals - the least experienced soapmakers are usually the ones making the most claims about the amazing properties of their products.

I gave up several years ago trying to get my foot in the doors of brick and mortors. After 7 yrs I am still going strong and my products and labeling are recognized in any almost any market I attend within a 50 mile range. As for wholesale, I finally lost interest with the stress of trying to get into stores and the low price they want to pay. It just does not pay me to hassle it.

I agree, wholesale is too much trouble for too little money. We decided to not add any more wholesale accts.

Yep us too.

Wholesale is too much hard work for very little margin - if there is a decent profit to be made the retailer takes it!

We tried it but have moved away and only sell direct now - at least you can control how your soaps are stored and sent out!

Back