"expired" can of Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I've had this 3lb tub of Crisco in my pantry for years. I have no idea why we bought so much. It's just been sitting there. It is opened...and was clearly used at one point...though there is probably 2.9 lbs of it left! On the bottom of the can it says "Best if used by September 03, 2011".

It looks fine. It smells fine. It even feels fine.

Any reason NOT to use it in soap?

Personally with it being that old I wouldn't use it. However, having said that, if it smells okay it is probably okay.

It is easy to tell if oils have gone bad. They get rancid. And/or look funky. If neither of those applies, use it. I might not use it to make pie crust, but soap is a definite yes.

I have no plans to bake with it...but since it neither looks nor smells rancid (nowhere close in fact) I was hoping it would be OK to make soap with...it's like finding 3lbs of free oil! I think I'll go for it.

Now...are there guidelines for using Crisco?

Keep in mind that is NOT an expiration date. It simply says BEST if used... Unless you live in California, then it will probably cause cancer in rats.

If it were an expiration date it might begin with WARNING! DEATH MAY BE EXPERIENCED IF USED AFTER...

Hilarious!! You made me laugh out loud in bed Dennis!

I like using Crisco. I substitute it for Palm Oil in most recipes I use. Just make sure to run it through a lye calculator as switching out oils will change your number!

Back