expertise please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene

Reaction score

Hello,

I am still in the planning stages of soapmaking, you all inspire me.

I have most of the stuff that I need (I think), I have a question or two.
Where does one get tallow? Are there other readily available fats that I can use?
Oh and I am a bit scared to open the pail of lye, any advice? Thanks I await some expertise.

Irene :?: :eek:

I can't help you with the tallow question. Regarding lye, use gloves, the regular kitchen gloves and you will be fine. And also do not wear shorts or open shoes as precaution. Another advice regarding lye is do not be overly afraid of working with it. Usually when someone is too afraid of something is more open to something happening.

how much tallow are you looking for? you can buy anywhere from 1 pound to 50 pounds online, depending on your needs. you can also render your own tallow. it isn't hard, just takes time. there are several companies online that sell in small amounts and others that sell in larger amounts up to 50 pounds. they are all pretty close in price however the shipping can vary a lot depending on your location.

Thanks for your replies Fasanis and Mr. Soap.

I think I will be okay with the lye now. But I am still confused about the fats used. If a recipe asks for Tallow can I use Lard? I want to start making a "plain white soap" so that I can then mill it. My recipe (from The Complete Soapmaker book) says to use tallow, olive or blended vegetable oil and cocoa butter. Can the tallow be exchanged with lard?

The more I look into soap making the more questions I need help with, I appreciate any help/expertise you can share with me.
Irene

You can use lard instead of tallow but must adjust the recipe using soapcalc, to make sure your lye is right for the different oil.

As someone who made their first batch with the intent of rebatching it (also known as milling) I would never, ever recommend this to anyone. Especially if you are new to this whole soap thing. You will be frustrated beyond belief trying to melt the soap down, all that time spent grating and it will never look as good as the initial batch did. Do a search of the forum to see what others have to say, even the people who are experienced don't like to rebatch soap.
But, people learn best from experience so you may just want to give it a try anyway to see how it goes for you. :)

Latest posts

Back