Experienced soapers -- check out this recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

45% Olive Oil
40% Coconut Oil
10% Shea Butter
5% Castor Oil

Superfatted at 10%

Could some of you experienced soapers tell me how you think this would turn out? I'm trying to make a nice hard soap that has great lather and conditioning properties. Specifically I'm wondering about the olive to coconut ratios regarding mildness vs. fluffy lather.

Would really appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Okay I just did it and here's what it says:

Hardness 43
Cleansing 27
Condition 52
Bubbly lather 31
Creamy lather 21
Iodine 51
INS 169

And here's where you want your numbers to be for "good soap":

Hardness 36 to 50
Cleansing 14 to 22
Condition 45 to 80
Bubbly lather 14 to 33
Creamy lather 16 to 35

Your recipe looks pretty good!

Thanks Ashley 8) I actually do use soapcalc, but their numbers are somewhat meaningless to me since I don't have a frame of reference for what they base them on. I appreciate you giving me those ranges, that is really helpful!

So my cleansing is at 27, which is beyond the 14-22 range. Should I try to lower this number so that it isn't drying? I superfatted at 10%...

The conditioning number 52 is at the lower end of 45-80... any suggestions on raising this number?

Thanks for your help!

Danielito said:
Thanks Ashley 8) I actually do use soapcalc, but their numbers are somewhat meaningless to me since I don't have a frame of reference for what they base them on. I appreciate you giving me those ranges, that is really helpful!

So my cleansing is at 27, which is beyond the 14-22 range. Should I try to lower this number so that it isn't drying? I superfatted at 10%...

The conditioning number 52 is at the lower end of 45-80... any suggestions on raising this number?

Thanks for your help!

No problem, those reference numbers are from soap calcs website too. You can find them and some other helpful info here:

http://www.soapcalc.com/soapqualities.asp

I am by no means an expert (at ALL), but if it were ME - since you are going to do a 10% superfat I don't think it's a big deal that your cleansing number is a bit over. When it comes to the conditioning number - you could up your olive oil, but in turn that is going to make the bar less cleansing (in your case you could up the olive oil a tad and it would probably bring your cleansing number down into the "recommended range"). Soapcalc is kind of "give and take" like that. I find you almost always sacrifice one "area" for another.

Honestly, the base recipe I use is a little off the soapcalc recommendations, and I and people I have given it to love it! So, I don't think the numbers there are really the "be all, end all".

Daniel,

I did my first batch with a 20 for cleansing and after the 6 week cure I find the soap to be rather drying. I would definitely lower the cleansing number - but this is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge.

Sibi

x

in my humble opinion, that is going to be a very nice soap with plenty of conditiong if you discount the lye 10%. i would cool temp this and for the 1st batch use a f/o that you know for a fact is not tempermental. lavender e/o is good too.

i make a rtcp whipped soap using 70% coconut, 20% shea and 10% castor with a discount of 12% using goatsmilk and honey.

www.teachsoap.com has a recipe called "break the rules" soap that is coconut and cocobutter. that's good too.

the numbers are just an outline to help "frame-up" a recipe, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

good luck on your new recipe-i thinks it's great, and will give you an idea in what direction you want to go. you can improve on it from there.

don't forget-there is no "one perfect soap" that's what keeps us humble and always trying to do better.

monet :D

Sibi said:
Daniel,

I did my first batch with a 20 for cleansing and after the 6 week cure I find the soap to be rather drying. I would definitely lower the cleansing number - but this is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge.

Sibi

Sibi: what was your recipe and superfat percentage?

Daniel....it may not hold true for your skin, but with that degree of superfat, combined with the olive oil, it sounds like a nice soap. I'd make a small test batch and see what you get.

Danielito said:
Sibi said:
Daniel,

Sibi

Sibi: what was your recipe and superfat percentage?

Daniel,

In answer to your question my recipe was:

Canola 10%
Coconut 30%
Olive 20%
Crisco 40%

Superfat: the standard 5%

my soap qualities in soapcalc came out to:

Hardness 38
Cleansing 20
Condition 57
Bubbly 20
Creamy 18

So there ya have it. But in all fairness I shouldn't have posted since I'm not really an experienced soaper. Just thought I'd share my experience, that's all. Others on here with more experience under their belt may be better equiped to advise you.

good luck!

Sibi

I agree with Mike that with the 10% S/F and the high content of olive, you just might have a nice soap on your hands. Also like Mike said, I would make a small test batch to see how you like it.

IrishLass :)

The wonderful thing about soap recipes is that just about every recipe will be Great for someones skin....the sad thing is that same recipe will be Horrific for someones skin.

Everyones skin tolerances vary so much. Your recipe looks great especially since you have the 10% s/f and the high olive oil.

Thanks everyone for the words of advice. You too, Sibi :)

Kitn -- will be making the soap tomorrow I think.

Latest posts

Back