Essential Oil in CP Soap - help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waychie

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a newbie to soapmaking and have decided to "go the whole hog" and try EO. I have been using FO for all of batches, but am keen to try EO

I'm alittle confused :oops: about how much EO to use in my batches, I make roughly 700 to 800g sized batches every time. I know EO can be very strong, I've just bought a small bottle of Mandarin EO to try

I feel I'm asking a silly question, but I am confused :oops: :oops:

Thanks for your replies!

Hello,

I use .7 ounce per pound of oils with most EOs. I'm not sure exactly how that converts to metric, but I'm sure you could run it through an online converter and get the answer. However, with that said, I usually use a little more with citrus because they tend to fade quicker for me. I haven't used Mandarin before, but maybe someone else can advise you specifically about that one.

Good luck!

Stacie

citris smell doesnt stay in soap very well, it just depends on the eo, how much to use, like lavender, dont use alot! I dont use eo's too much, too spendy, but i do love lemongrass and thats not too much $.

I tried a small batch with .7 of mandarin with orris root to anchor the scent. It still smells of mandarin 4 months later.

Kitn

ORRIS ROOT

Can you use orris root to anchor any fragrance in any method of soap making?

Honestly, manadarin is almost erotic in nature but it sucks for stayability, that's mine don't steal it, okay, you can have it. If you aren't fixing it with another scent or an Orange five fold I would go over the recommended 0.5-0.7 ounces per pound of oils and would almost double the amount. You want it to retain it's scent 6 months from now and this would do it. Its.....stayability, through stayabilification will reward you.
Wow, I really am an idiot.
But correct.

You can also use cosmetic grade clay to anchor the scent. I think I use about 1 teasp. per pound of oils. Some clays, such as rose clay and French green clay also give the soap a lovely natural color as well.

Jeremy said:
Honestly, manadarin is almost erotic in nature but it sucks for stayability, that's mine don't steal it, okay, you can have it. If you aren't fixing it with another scent or an Orange five fold I would go over the recommended 0.5-0.7 ounces per pound of oils and would almost double the amount. You want it to retain it's scent 6 months from now and this would do it. Its.....stayability, through stayabilification will reward you.
But correct.

Hee. You make me chuckle.

LJA..I luv ya, if you weren`t marrit, and I wasn`t marrit, I`d be marriyan ya..but we is so no go. I love the suggestion of clays, my question is, how do they go about locking in the scent

I used 1/2 tsp orris root ppo.

1 tsp to 1 tbsp white kaolin clay ppo helps too.

these can be used for any fragrance or eo anchor.

Kitn

But correct.
hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif

i use castor oil to anchor any scent. usually 1 tbsp. for a 3# batch. it also acts as a superfat and gives extra bubble.

I just made my own thread about what anchors EOs and found the information here so I deleted it.

Is there a web site or a list of anchors for CP soap somewhere. I am also wondering which EOs are a waste of money because they don't stick no matter what?

Jeremy maybe she can be your online "wifey." or is that a cheat'n?? hmmm?? lol

I guess citris eos dont stay. I dont know if there is a stabilizer for fo's, i have only had one that faded major, otherwise the scent stays pretty good with fo's.

I use castor in all my batches, but haven't had any luck with it as an anchor. That's the first time I've heard it used for anchoring.

I did anchor my Valencia Orange EO with just an eensy bit of Lemongrass EO. It's been 3 months & the orange is still going strong & I don't smell the Lemongrass at all. A month ago I did the same batch without the Lemongrass & the orange is completely gone.

I bought a couple of clays today and I am going to try these! Is there a web site that has EO information?

Latest posts

Back