Escape to Sunny Florida! Fun in the Sun!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2017.jpg

Mostly ice. We were very fortunate. Power went out at 10:00pm, but hard working power crews reestablished service at 01:15. Only went down to 24 degrees. Brings back memories of snow shovels and bags of salt. Ugh. High temp today, 35 then back down tonight to 20 degrees. A warming trend!

Last edited:
Crazy weather. We heard the other day that Fairbanks, Alaska had warmer temps. that day than we did.

The snow surrounding the bright blue pool is quite a contrast!

Meanwhile, in California.. We haven't had a winter and all of the trees are blossoming. They think it's spring.

That so sucks. I mean it truly. I pity anyone from the north who thought they were escaping to Sunny Florida right now. TVivian isn't trying to rub anything in at all. ;)

That so sucks. I mean it truly. I pity anyone from the north who thought they were escaping to Sunny Florida right now. TVivian isn't trying to rub anything in at all. ;)

I'm actually DYING for cold weather!!! I'd love a trip to the snow and to wear sweaters! I love sweater/jacket weather!

12:30pm and not above freezing. Roads closed because of ice. Overpasses and bridges are deadly. No equipment to do anything down here. A little sand here and there but that's about it. Supposed to go up to the 70s again by this weekend.
Everyone that wants cold weather to knock down the flea, tick and roach population are happy but will probably find it to be less than effective this summer.
The cold is nice if the wind stays down. Better a few days of this than several months.
The swimming pool is salt water but there was a slight skin of ice at the stairs with pump running continually. That kind of surprised me.
As a long time transplant this is not all that bad if you use some common sense. Watching people who have no experience, have seldom if ever seen ice or snow, much less tried to drive in it, is scary. Macho tendencies tend to prevail with ensuing rude awakenings. :lol:
The lovely but mysterious far far eastern sometimes soaping assistant, lovely wife and mother of my children has found herself running around in the yard having a ball and squealing, taking many pictures. :)

The lovely but mysterious far far eastern sometimes soaping assistant, lovely wife and mother of my children has found herself running around in the yard having a ball and squealing, taking many pictures. :)[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'd be doing :)

Me too! But add faux ice skating races with very athletic first grader - who of course would win all of them because I'd be on my butt more than my feet!
We miss having the change of seasons, and TVivian is right - there's been no winter in S. Calif. (Christmas was 90 degrees and neighbors singing Jingle Bells from their pool)

I know the winter's been really tough (I have friends in central and mid-atlantic area) and I feel for you all. A long harsh winter really can wear a person down...not to mention the challenge in simply staying safe. I hope it all ends for you very soon.

In my many years here in the real Florida I've seen snow and ice 5 times. That's not bad at all compared to what folks further north have to withstand. Of course, if you're ready for it, outdoor fun in the snow is great. I compare the Floridians experience with snow to the people who come down here in the summer to go to the beach and after two hours that pasty skin is bright red and it hurts to look at them. Unprepared. Off to the hospital for some. It is nasty.
Then of course, there's dealing with hurricanes.

The hurricane people in New York vs people in Florida.jpg

Well, while your freezing, I'm swimming. Middle of summer here and quite hot - 30 - 35C. So your pool looks inviting Dennis.

I will take bad, cold winters over hurricanes any day. But I will take southern hemisphere winters over bad, cold winters any day too, with the exception of the Antarctic. :D

Glad I took my trip to FL before Christmas when it was warm and sunny! Yesterday was the 15th day in a row that Anchorage's high was above freezing. Some parts of AK hit 60 this week :shock: We're picking up good daylight again, so it really does feel like spring here! But I've lived here too long to be fooled :sad:

Back