EO's - Lavender Oil - Therapeuic Grade

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
Below is a quick excerpt from the company I buy EO's from (more info on their page). I'm not "loyal" to any retailer, and am not advocating you buy from them. However, they do give some additional information that most retailers don't. Information like where it came from and how they processed it. I also like purchasing from companies that aren't afraid to post costumer reviews, and lavender has many reviews. The choices for Lavender EO are very extensive. Below is a bit of their info about their selections of various lavender EO, or their sales hype depending on how you look at :) I have participated in studies re: reduction of anxiety (thus hyperactivity) and lavender will reduce anxiety -- Laugh if you will (I noted some derogatory comments on the forum :) ), but the sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses in memory recall -- Don't underestimate the ability of your nose to influence your thoughts -- and the mind controls -- well, never mind, long and boring for those who don't give a hoot :yawn:. You either like lavender or you don't. Here is the info:

• Lavender 40/42 – This essential oil is the most common choice for applications in glycerin soap, candles, perfume, and cosmetics. The “40/42” refers to the balance of Linalool and Linalyl acetate esters, which is what gives it such a consistent floral scent. It also has a balsamic woody undertone with a floral, herbaceous fresh scent.
  • Lavender Bulgarian – This is the choice if you’re looking for a rich lavender floral scent that is a little fruitier and mellower that the 40/42, and with less of a camphoraceous smell. This one smells more like fresh lavender.
  • Lavender French – A simple, sweet, floral note that has been a very popular choice.
  • Lavender Population Oil – This sweet, green scent offers a lot of therapeutic benefits.
  • Lavender South African – For a fresh, sweet, floral-herbaceous odor, this is a good choice. It also has a touch of the African veldt.
  • Lavender Spanish – This essential oil has a fresh, floral herbaceous odor.
Using Lavender Oil

The largest producer of lavender oil is currently Bulgaria, but there are many other sources around the world and each region produces a product with slightly different characteristics and aromas. This is why we offer so many different types of lavender on our site and how we have become one of the largest importers of lavender oil in the USA
Lavender is most well known for its use in aromatherapy, but it is also used in personal care precuts, as an antiseptics, and for the treatment of sunburn and muscle joint pain. It has also been known to aid in relaxation, reduce anxiety, and relieve stress and tension headaches.
Disclaimer:
Lavender oils should not be used directly in women who are pregnant or currently breastfeeding.

There really is no such thing as therapeutic grade EO's. There is no body that rates them as such. EO's have been used for therapeutic purposes forever though. Several of the better EO suppliers will give the information on their EO's as well as have reviews. I have purchased most my EO's from NDA.

Yeah, the theraputic grade. I get why people say that. It's a thing that is used now. But it doesn't really mean anything.

Teresa, agree that there are health benefits to EO fragrances. I burn them in my diffuser, and find lavendar + citrus calming. Not sure if this is all in my mind, but I kind of don't care.

Also agree w/Shunt that as long as an EO is pure (ie; from a well-reputed company that tests), I don't really buy into a separate "therapeutic" category.

I did like the descriptions of the different kind of lavenders!

There really is no such thing as therapeutic grade EO's. There is no body that rates them as such. EO's have been used for therapeutic purposes forever though. Several of the better EO suppliers will give the information on their EO's as well as have reviews. I have purchased most my EO's from NDA.
This is in the US that there is no rating system for EO. I am not sure about Europe. I do not not buy much from BA but purchase most from NDA

Last edited:
I hope you understand this is the company's grading/marketing/terminology, and not mine -- it seems many of the comments would be best addressed to them. I agree there isn't a reliable method of measurement for the term "therapeutic". Please review the manufactures website if you want to understand their use of the term.

The term "therapy" has been misused for many years, and in some very serious mental health scenarios -- thankfully most states have addressed the mental health medical licensing needs in regard to therapy and therapists. I am accustomed to reading the term "therapeutic" in reference to just about everything, from music, driving, sleeping, to eating. I don't overreact when I see the term or give it any special consideration. I understand the term can be disturbing to many people here because of their involvement in marketing and selling their products. I will try to be more sensitive to your needs and state that the manufacturer has a grade that is called therapeutic because they claim to use quality ingredients (carrier oils, etc.). That won't fit in the title of post though -- hahaha.

Interesting that no one here is commenting on the lavender oil, its properties, carrier oils, fragrance, etc.... Made me giggle when I saw the number of comments and nothing more than "THERAPEUTIC!!!". Actually, I'm still giggling a little. IMO, and most others who use EO's, there are some EO's that are MUCH better than others, and many companies produce and sell some very questionable products, while others produce a very nice, quality product; even if they do use marketing terms like therapeutic or natural.

Ah yes, booze can be very therapeutic, hahaha. No one has a problem with calling booze therapeutic, do they? :D Bathtub varieties can cause blindness and even death. Would you buy a bottle that wasn't made by a reputable manufacturer? How do you determine if one bottle of booze is better than another? By the number of years it has been aged? By the proof? BTW, 151 may be the "gold" standard, hahaha. By the processing and bottling? By the manufacturer reputation for using quality ingredients? By the quality of ingredients that the manufacturer is legally required to be honest about because they are labeling the product with them (truth in labeling)? Do you have high standards based on a set of variables, or does the cheapest available that resembles a fragrance determine your decision?

What is your set of standards, your measurement, for buying and using EO in your soap, bath, or body products? Assuming prices are all equal, of course.

This is in the US that there is no rating system for EO. I am not sure about Europe. I do not not much from BA but purchase most from NDA

NDA? Hold on, let me do a quick search. This is the site I found. I will need to read their page -- I'm always looking for a good source. Do you use them in soap, bath, body, home? Thanks for sharing this source!

Bulgaria, Romania, even Poland are famous for polution, I would never buy the one made in Bulgaria:((
Why we do not have BA in Canada

Teresa, agree that there are health benefits to EO fragrances. I burn them in my diffuser, and find lavendar + citrus calming. Not sure if this is all in my mind, but I kind of don't care.

When I consider control groups and the placebo effect I can clearly understand why our mind and thought process influence many involuntary physical reactions. Some interesting studies by reputable scientists and doctors within excellent universities are validating the therapeutic benefits of aroma -- empirical evidence for those of you who need it. Fortunately, we are seeing more reputable studies -- there isn't big money backing it so it is taking time. Below is a very impressive list of references.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/treatment/aromatherapy
ReferencesAtsumi T, Tonosaki K. Smelling lavender and rosemary increases free radical scavenging activity and decreases cortisol level in saliva. Psychiatry Res. 2007;150(1):89-96.
Bagetta G, Morrone LA, Rombola L, et al. Neuropharmacology of the essential oil of bergamot. Fitoterapia. 2010;81(6):453-61.
Ballard CG, Gauthier S, Cummings JL, Brodaty H, Grossberg GT, Robert P, Lyketsos CG. Management of agitation and aggression associated with Alzheimer disease. Nat Rev Neurol. 2009 May;5(5):245-55. Review.
Bastard J, Tiran D. Aromatherapy and massage for antenatal anxiety: its effect on the fetus.Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2006;12(1):48-54.
Burns E, Zobbi V, Panzeri D, Oskrochi R, Regalia A. Aromatherapy in childbirth: a pilot randomised controlled trial. BJOG. 2007;114(7):838-44.
Dunning T. Applying a quality use of medicines framework to using essential oils in nursing practice. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2005;11(3):172-81.
Edris AE. Pharmaceutical and therapeutic potentials of essential oils and their individual volatile constituents: a review. Phytother Res. 2007;21(4):308-23.
Fellowes D, Barnes K, Wilkinson S. Aromatherapy and massage for symptom relief in patients with cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(2):CD002287.
Fowler NA. Aromatherapy, used as an integrative tool for crisis management by adolescents in a residential treatment center. J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs. 2006;19(2):69-76.
Goel N, Kim H, Lao RP. An olfactory stimulus modifies nighttime sleep in young men and women. Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(5):889-904.
Hadfield N. The role of aromatherapy massage in reducing anxiety in patients with malignant brain tumours. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2001;7(6):279-85.
Herz RS. Aromatherapy facts and fictions: a scientific analysis of olfactory effects on mood, physiology and behavior. Int J Neurosci. 2009;119(2):263-90. Review.
Hongratanaworakit T, Buchbauer G. Relaxing effect of ylang ylang oil on humans after transdermal absorption. Phytother Res. 2006;20(9):758-63.
Hu PH, Peng YC, Lin YT, Chang CS, Ou MC. Aromatherapy for reducing colonoscopy related procedural anxiety and physiological paramters: a randomized controlled study. Hepatogastroenterology. 2010;57(102-102):1082-6.
Hur MH, Oh H, Lee MS, Kim C, Choi AN, Shin GR. Effects of aromatherapy massage on blood pressure and lipid profile in korean climacteric women. Int J Neurosci. 2007;117(9):1281-7.
Kim JT, Wajda M, Cuff G, et al., Evaluation of aromatherapy in treating postoperative pain: pilot study. Pain Pract. 2006;6(4):273-7.
Krebs M. Promote wellness with aromatherapy. Adv Nurse Pract. 2006;14(5):41-4.
Kuriyama H, Watanabe S, Nakaya T, et al., Immunological and Psychological Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2(2):179-184.
Kyle G. Evaluating the effectiveness of aromatherapy in reducing levels of anxiety in palliative care patients: results of a pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2006;12(2):148-55.
Lee CO. Clinical aromatherapy. Part II: Safe guidelines for integration into clinical practice. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2003;7(5):597-8.
Lee IS, Lee GJ. [Effects of lavender aromatherapy on insomnia and depression in women college students]. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2006;36(1):136-43.
Lewith GT, Godfrey AD, Prescott P. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating the aroma of Lavandula augustifolia as a treatment for mild insomnia. J Altern Complement Med. 2005;11(4):631-7.
Lin PW, Chan WC, Ng BF, Lam LC. Efficacy of aromatherapy (Lavandula angustifolia ) as an intervention for agitated behaviours in Chinese older persons with dementia: a cross-over randomized trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007;22(5):405-10.
Maddocks-Jennings W, Wilkinson JM. Aromatherapy practice in nursing: literature review. J Adv Nurs. 2004;48(1):93-103.
McCaffrey R, Thomas DJ, Kinzelman AO. The effects of lavender and rosemary essential oils on test-taking anxiety among graduate nursing students. Holist Nurs Pract. 2009 Mar-Apr;23(2):88-93.
Mercier D, Knevitt A. Using topical aromatherapy for the management of fungating wounds in a palliative care unit. J Wound Care. 2005;14(10):497-8, 500-1.
Patricia M. Complementary therapies for children: aromatherapy. Paediatr Nurs. 2004;16(7):28-30.
Perry N, Perry E. Aromatherapy in the management of psychiatric disorders: clinical and neuropharmacological perspectives. CNS Drugs. 2006;20(4):257-80.
Rho KH, Han SH, Kim KS, Lee MS. Effects of aromatherapy massage on anxiety and self-esteem in korean elderly women: a pilot study. Int J Neurosci. 2006;116(12):1447-55.
Setzer WN. Essential oils and anxiolytic aromatherapy. Nat Prod Commun. 2009;4(9):1305-16.
Tillett J, Ames D. The uses of aromatherapy in women's health. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2010;24(3):238-45.
Thorgrimsen L, Spector A, Wiles A, Orrell M. Aroma therapy for dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(3):CD003150.
Williams TI. Evaluating effects of aromatherapy massage on sleep in children with autism: a pilot study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2006;3(3):373-7

Bulgaria, Romania, even Poland are famous for polution, I would never buy the one made in Bulgaria:((
Why we do not have BA in Canada

Pollution is a problem in the states too, but I know what you mean about the quality of the soil and water as a result of the air pollution. Where I live the air quality is very good, comparitively speaking, but the chemicals in the soil, runoff, and water quality from years of questionable agricultural practices are a concern. It's hard to get away from the problems man has caused, regardless of where you live.

Nobody was questioning the use for therapeutic purposes.

I hear people stating they use only therapeutic grade EO's where there is technically no such thing. Any good quality EO can be used for that purpose but is not therapeutic grade. You can list all the studies you like but it doesn't make it therapeutic grade.

I use lavender to relax at night. Eucalyptus/camphor when I have a cold etc.

Maybe because of all those MLM companies YL and Doterra who have mislead people to think they have to spend a small mortgage payment for something they could get as good a quality for a so much cheaper then they are being hoodwinked into purchasing. I consider it mis-advertising and misleading. Just my personal feelings when I see that.

I purchase from NDA for the same reason you like the company you posted. I only purchase from companies that give more than just a name for an EO or FO. I wantto offer the best possible products I can. So researching companies you deal with are very important.

Pollution is a problem in the states too, but I know what you mean about the quality of the soil and water as a result of the air pollution. Where I live the air quality is very good, comparitively speaking, but the chemicals in the soil, runoff, and water quality from years of questionable agricultural practices are a concern. It's hard to get away from the problems man has caused, regardless of where you live.

When I came to Canada my asthma stopped bothering me, due the clean air. Who never lived in Europe have no idea how much pollution is there :(

Nobody was questioning the use for therapeutic purposes.

I hear people stating they use only therapeutic grade EO's where there is technically no such thing. Any good quality EO can be used for that purpose but is not therapeutic grade.

I understand, and I also understand how frustrating it is to be mislead by someone who doesn't represent their product accurately (so many products are running through my mind that I couldn't list all of them). I liked NDA's web page, they seem to be a good company with competitive pricing. I did notice they also use the term "therapeutic". I didn't pay attention to who was using it before -- I am a shopper who reads labels to make buying decisions. I'm guessing many people do Google searches using that term (I didn't) when they are looking for EO's??? Just a guess. If you are selling a quality EO and know the consumers who are looking for quality EO's "assume" a certain term will produce the results they want, the company must use the term if they want to compete in the market place. If I were selling EO's I would use the term, but I would also explain that the term has little significance when buying EO's. The term and accurate information is there when the public does an internet search. Most marketing companies would probably advise against my approach, which is why I'm not in sales :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back