eo scents to mix with pine tar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning on making a bar with pine tar to help with psoriasis. I have not used pine tar but from everything I've read it sounds like the stuff really stinks. Is there an eo that I can use in my recipe to help tone down the pine tar smell? Also, will 10% pine tar be effective in the recipe?

So far my recipe will have: (don't have % yet)

OO
CO
PO
avocado oil
Shea butter
jojoba oil
wheat germ oil
witch hazel
honey
pine tar

Any other ideas?

Thanks. I have 2 people that are really looking forward to this soap working for their skin.

Regards,
Opalgirl

some brands of pine tar seem to smell worse than others. I like the smell of mine.

people seem to like lavender with it, and maybe tea tree.

I always soap it at 20%, but can't really say about the level needed for "efficacy".

The batches I have done have been 15 or 20% PT. As far as EOs go from my personal experience, I can't seem to ever find any one that will cover the smell much, it seems to always shine through to some degree. I've tried the TT and lavender both and they were OK, but still a very strong PT scent. I think that smell is just a given w/PT and finding one EO that will compliment it would be a plus, everyone's nose is different. :lol: I've not tried any of the pine-type EOs (balsam peru, cedarwood, cyress etc) but have been told that they blend well w/the PT and they have had better results using "one" EO - for whatever that is worth. I plan to try one of them next batch myself. I'm thinking that a more smokey-type fragrance would be nice like the balsam peru.
Have fun!

Back