Entry Thread for the June 2021 SMF Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as I read through this challenge, I had my vision. When I think of gardens, what comes to mind are the summers growing up on 2 acres of land in Upstate New York in a town called East Aurora (the birthplace of Fisher Price Toys). We grew everything: corn, potatoes, peas, rhubarb, onions, garlic, cabbage, pumpkin, watermelon. Raspberries grew wild at the back of our property and we had numerous fruit trees. Our summers were hot, humid, and we got plenty of rain.

My grandparents, whose house we went to every Sunday for dinner, also had a robust garden, albeit on a smaller plot of land in the suburbs. My grandmother loved gardening and in a small shady spot she maintained a patch of Lily of the valley flowers. These delicate flowers were a delight. To think that these bell-shaped flowers could emit such a lovely, strong, and memorable fragrance was a wonder to me. Not since my childhood have I had the opportunity to enjoy these flowers in a garden. When my grandmother passed away, my grandfather moved across the state to live with my uncle and his family. I often wonder what happened to her special patch of Lily of the valley.

Now that I live in southern California, our summers are hot, dry, and the clay-heavy soil is not amenable to large gardens of produce. Land is at a premium, so any garden I could install would be quite a bit smaller than the gardens we cultivated in New York.

I married the two inspirations (the gardens of produce and my grandmother's patch of Lily of the valley) to create my challenge soap. I used watermelon juice in my soap batter to fulfill the garden-inspired ingredient. To do so, I blended watermelon and strained the pulp. Then I froze the juice and used it for part of my liquid (with the remainder being AVJ). Once the soap set and cut, I piped the leaves, stems, and delicate Lily of the valley bulbs. All components are fragranced with BB's Lily of the valley. It smells just like the flowers of my childhood.

This soap gave me great joy to make.
View attachment 58651View attachment 58652View attachment 58653
Wow I love your soaps! I also grew up in western NY. I actually lived in the old Fisher Price building for a short time! And it's funny but East Aurora is where I first found Lily of the Valleys and to this day they are my favorite flower.

Wow I love your soaps! I also grew up in western NY. I actually lived in the old Fisher Price building for a short time! And it's funny but East Aurora is where I first found Lily of the Valleys and to this day they are my favorite flower.
Small world! It’s a wonderful place to grow up. Which part of WNY did you live?

For a year or so East Aurora and then it was Hamburg. We moved to Ithaca when I was 18 and now I'm raising my own family in Massachusetts.

As soon as I read through this challenge, I had my vision. When I think of gardens, what comes to mind are the summers growing up on 2 acres of land in Upstate New York in a town called East Aurora (the birthplace of Fisher Price Toys). We grew everything: corn, potatoes, peas, rhubarb, onions, garlic, cabbage, pumpkin, watermelon. Raspberries grew wild at the back of our property and we had numerous fruit trees. Our summers were hot, humid, and we got plenty of rain.

My grandparents, whose house we went to every Sunday for dinner, also had a robust garden, albeit on a smaller plot of land in the suburbs. My grandmother loved gardening and in a small shady spot she maintained a patch of Lily of the valley flowers. These delicate flowers were a delight. To think that these bell-shaped flowers could emit such a lovely, strong, and memorable fragrance was a wonder to me. Not since my childhood have I had the opportunity to enjoy these flowers in a garden. When my grandmother passed away, my grandfather moved across the state to live with my uncle and his family. I often wonder what happened to her special patch of Lily of the valley.

Now that I live in southern California, our summers are hot, dry, and the clay-heavy soil is not amenable to large gardens of produce. Land is at a premium, so any garden I could install would be quite a bit smaller than the gardens we cultivated in New York.

I married the two inspirations (the gardens of produce and my grandmother's patch of Lily of the valley) to create my challenge soap. I used watermelon juice in my soap batter to fulfill the garden-inspired ingredient. To do so, I blended watermelon and strained the pulp. Then I froze the juice and used it for part of my liquid (with the remainder being AVJ). Once the soap set and cut, I piped the leaves, stems, and delicate Lily of the valley bulbs. All components are fragranced with BB's Lily of the valley. It smells just like the flowers of my childhood.

This soap gave me great joy to make.
View attachment 58651View attachment 58652View attachment 58653
I too had a grandmother who grew LOV. I forever remember her patch that grew along one side of the garage. I’m glad to read your store and see your soap that brings such joy to us all with grandmothers who grew LOV!♥️♥️♥️♥️

My inspiration for this challenge was our little Mrs. Robin who nests under our deck every year and always has at least two clutches each season.

I used store bought eggs for my garden ingredient as it was agreed that stealing a robin's egg was not in good taste (that's some sarcasm there - I'd never take a Robin's eggs!).
Everything is soap dough with no "soap painting". The Robin is standing on her own without anything propping her up or securing her to the nest. The lighter soap dough in the nest, the outline of the baby's mouth, the outline of Momma Robin's eyes and her beak are made out of soap dough that was made with egg - especially for this challenge, and the FIRST time I'd ever used egg in soap. Lesson Learned: 15% CO recipe is perfect for having workable soap dough in about 4 hours. Special thanks to @DeeAnna for that assist!
Without further ado, I present Mrs. Robin...and her son (see what I did there?)

View attachment 58893

View attachment 58894 View attachment 58895

ETA: Oops! forgot the pic of our Mrs. Robin! Best I can do as she's not bothered when I have on my straw hat, but will always fly away if I lift my arms. Silly girl. And, a bit of glycerin was applied to the soap dough used for Mrs. Robin's eyes to make them shiny. :)
View attachment 58899

View attachment 58897

Video of working with the soap dou

Latest posts

Back