Eliminating ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplecatsoap

Reaction score
Hi all - I've only been making soap since December and LOVE it!!! However, on about 50% of my batches, I am still getting soda ash on the top. I liberally spray each batch with alcohol after pouring, and it doesn't happen every single time - only about 1/2 the time. What are some of your tried-and-true tricks for eliminating ash on top of your soap loafs?

Well, purple. Ash had always been a problem with me. I have a 30 oz plastic "soap mold." It has little imprints where the edges of each bar should be, to make cutting easier, and gives a nice built-in bevel. That's all a little bit beside the point. When I use that mold, I always get ash, but when I use my 50 oz silicone mold (always covered in plastic wrap), I never have ash. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it's worth looking into, I would imagine.

There are a couple of things that might help. Make sure the soap goes through gel. Cover the soap with plastic wrap or waxed paper and then cover with a heavy towel or blanket.

I have ash sometimes and I don't know how to prevent it, however I use a garment steamer to get it off afterwards.

I get ash randomly - gel or not gelled. I think it's sugar content and heavy butters that contributes. Also I think sometimes what looks like ash is just oxidation. Sometimes the surfaces of my soap dry out but are fine once I plane them.

I've found I get ash more often since I started soaping room temperature. Not sure of the connection, but the trend is definite.

Interesting, Ruthie. If all soapers get together and make notes of all the different aspects to their ashy soaps, perhaps eventually, they will have a definitive reason for ashing!! : )

I make milk soaps and never gel and hardly ever get ash. When I do I have noticed it on soaps I uncover to early. If I leave them covered for at least 12+ hours until they are stone cold I don't get ash. Some FOs tend to be ash culprits so I just make sure I keep my soap covered until I am ready to cut. Usually the next day or two but never the same day.

When you cover your soap with plastic wrap, do you let it touch the surface of the soap? When I do that, it leaves imprints on the surface of the soap that I don't like. But that might just be something I have to live with - WAY better than ash!! :)

Hey, purple. I just had this discussion a day or two ago, for another reason. As far as I can tell, if the plastic touches the soap, it tends to make the top extra shiny. But, aside from that, I haven't noticed a difference, either way, regarding ash.

Last edited:
I soap in wooden log molds that I built. I use aluminum foil to cover my boxes. This blocks the air from the soap and doesn't mess up the tops from touching.

I use wooden log molds too with a wooden top. I just leave that top on until I am ready to demold my soap the next day. Its really hard not to peek at a fresh soap while its saponifying. But I have found thats how I end up with ash is by peeking.

To eliminate ash I use an oz or two of beeswax in the recipe. But, if ash still develops, the best thing to get rid of it is hot steam applied directly to the ash area.

Wow! Loads of great suggestions. I use wooden molds too - so I think I will start with the aluminum foil first. Then if that doesn't work, I'll move on the beeswax. Many many thanks everyone!!!

Aluminum foil should not be in contact with raw soap! Aluminum and active lye solution can cause a combustible chemical reaction. Risk is much lower with soap batter than lye solution, but why risk it?

Alcohol spray and gelling has resolved ash for me. If you don't gel, cover the surface completely with Saran Wrap and wait a couple of days before cutting, as has been suggested by others in this thread. If the surface can't oxidize, it shouldn't get ash.

Alcohol has worked the best for me but I have learned to embrace the ash on some soaps. My angel food cake bars for example turn a fudge brown color and the ash on top of my textured top looks pretty.

I second what Judy said -- please don't use aluminum foil to cover your raw soap. You might get away with it for awhile, but the one time you don't ... will most likely be memorable. Why take that risk?

Latest posts

Back