Elderberries DO NOT make purple soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmerdaughter

Reaction score
Please see Mulberry thread

[attachment=3:2orlq9yl]elder.JPG[/attachment:2orlq9yl]
These are elderberries in case your wondering.

[attachment=2:2orlq9yl]elder2.JPG[/attachment:2orlq9yl]
2 cups of berries 2 T water cook mash and strain

[attachment=1:2orlq9yl]elder3.JPG[/attachment:2orlq9yl]
Here is my juice and here is my soap pot. Added the juice at trace first it looked deep purple, than black, than carmel

[attachment=0:2orlq9yl]elder4.JPG[/attachment:2orlq9yl]
Velveeta cheese box mold I've been wanting to try. Also my first Celine swirl also been dying to try. If it stays this color I'll be happy. Thought: if I had a caramel apple FO the color is spot on!

Attachments

• elder.JPG
    elder.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 389
  • elder2.JPG
    elder2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 369
  • elder3.JPG
    elder3.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 387
  • elder4.JPG
    elder4.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 420
Wow, thank you for trying this experiment! And though it is not purple, it IS a REALLY PRETTY color! I'm going to "the city" later this week, and plan on checking out the bulk spices, etc. to see what I can use for coloring soap.

My experiment for today was using my tumeric infused sunflower oil, but it does not seem to have had much of an impact. Not enough color to really have an effect. I'll post a photo if I can figure out how!

dec 12 025.jpg

Cut pic
[attachment=0:19uxw45j]cut.JPG[/attachment:19uxw45j]

I did something wrong with the Celine swirl, turned my spoon in the wrong direction, maybe?

Ruthie, I have used turmeric I got a color similar to yours. The next herb on my list is parsley

Attachments

• cut.JPG
    cut.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 378
The swirls are beautiful & I agree with Hazel about the caramels. They look delicious ;)

That's a beautiful color and your soap is gorgeous. A few weeks ago I picked some juniper berries and cooked them down, mashed them up, and strained them. The berries were a beautiful blue. The strained liquid is brown! I haven't made soap with it yet.

Love how it turned out! That is the most beautiful caramely color ever, and the swirl does make it look like those caramels! yum

The color is holding, so far. I used a floral Fo so the color and the fragrance don't jive, for me. But if it dosen't fade over the next few months, I've got big plans for the rest of my berries.

Latest posts

Back