Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's my first time trying an egg yolk in soap. No colors added, a little lemongrass and peppermint eo for scent.

1497610169880.jpg

The visual pun is cute!

This spring, I made a couple of batches of soap using whole egg -- 1 egg per 500 g (1 lb) of oils. I beat the egg in a small bowl with my SB'er and poured it through a strainer (to catch any odd bits) into the fats. SB'ed the egg and fat, and then added the lye. I thought it went really well with no surprises.

Did you think adding the yolk made your soap any harder or more tricky to make?

Dhalia, not DeeAnna, but ...

When I make egg yolk soap, I temper the egg yolk with a spoonful or two of batch oil, whisking them together. Then I add that to the larger batch oils and SB well. Then I add the lye solution to that. Egg yolk soap is my favorite handwashing soap of all the soaps I have made.

When making soap with only egg whites, I do the same.

Here is a link on Anne Watson's egg soaps.

Artemis, they look great. I love the chicken stamp! My SIL would love that, too. She keeps chickens. And ducks, too.

how do you add it to soap? DeeAnna thanks ,
How do you add yolk only, mix into oils?

I would do the same with egg yolk or egg white -- just like I used the whole egg.

I have read a lot about tempering the egg and all that, but tempering was not necessary the way I added the egg. It was simple and easy.

I didn't really need to strain the egg -- there were no solid-ish bits that needed to be strained out -- but I still think that is worth doing, just to be on the safe side.

edit: I should add that the fats should be no warmer than about 110 F (45 C), because otherwise the egg will cook.

Last edited:
Very cute stamp! And it looks creamy!!!

Now I'm intrigued... Can anyone make whole egg soap or egg white or egg yolk soap tell the difference between these three? Any specific skin feel, or creamy lather or the like...

I use whole dried egg powder. It is so much easier to use
So do you feel that it is better for our skin Caroline? Does it calm down the skin? I have real problem now with all flowers and trees blooming :( Maybe it could an answer.

Wow, congratulations! I only tried this once at the beginning of my soaping adventure and did not straing or probably even whisk the yolk well enough, and let the soap go through full gel stage. The result was terrible - ugly smelling soap with some yucky particles. It discouraged me once and for all. But I might try again if you say that the soap is superb and the cute chicken appears after its cut haha :)!

The visual pun is cute!

This spring, I made a couple of batches of soap using whole egg -- 1 egg per 500 g (1 lb) of oils. I beat the egg in a small bowl with my SB'er and poured it through a strainer (to catch any odd bits) into the fats. SB'ed the egg and fat, and then added the lye. I thought it went really well with no surprises.

Did you think adding the yolk made your soap any harder or more tricky to make?

I just whisked mine with a fork and fished out any bits. I'll try the strainer next time. That sounds easier than chasing them around with a fork!

After whisking, I added a little oil to the yolk before adding it into the rest. I think I read that advice from Earlene somewhere else here. Since I wasn't planning anything fancy, I let the batter get a little thicker than I normally would, but it took a reasonable amount of time. I think if I waned swirls I would have had plenty of time.

I see a marked increase in lather and silky feel with egg yolk soap. More so than the same recipe without. I actually have not made whole egg soap, but I have made egg white soap with a rose petal oil infusion. The egg white soap comes out pure white in the recipe, and stays that way. But the egg yolk soap stays yellow over time with no added colorant. Of course I do tend to use lemongrass EO with the egg yolk soap, so that may contribute to the yellow-ness.

Wow, congratulations! I only tried this once at the beginning of my soaping adventure and did not straing or probably even whisk the yolk well enough, and let the soap go through full gel stage. The result was terrible - ugly smelling soap with some yucky particles.

I didn't have any bad smell. Or, if I did, it's faint enough that the lemongrass eo covered it up.

But I might try again if you say that the soap is superb and the cute chicken appears after its cut haha :)!

As for superb, I have to take Earlene's word for it. I haven't even sampled it yet.

Wouldn't that be awesome if you could make a shape spontaneously appear without an embed! It is actually made with a cheap little plastic cookie cutter. It came in a Easter set. I only bought the set so I could cut Speculaas into cute tulip shapes.

I agree with Earlene -- the soap with yolk or whole egg will be a light buttery yellow without any added colorant.

Artemis -- I must have been thinking along the same lines as you. My recipe contains lard, tallow, whole egg, and lanolin. All products from farm animals. :) I thought about adding milk, but I don't have the best luck keeping milk soap from turning tan.

I let my soap go through gel and didn't notice any more than a whiff of odor right when I mixed the lye, fats and egg together. It was less odor than when making beer soap. But I didn't CPOP the soap either -- just let it gel on its own.

The other thing I noticed is the egg soap batter became slightly pudding-y fairly soon -- almost at light trace. After it thickened to that point, it didn't thicken further until everything was in the mold. I had as much time to do my swirls as when I use the same recipe without egg. It was a distinctive difference. I wonder (just a guess) if the lecithin in the yolk acts as an emulsifier.

So do you feel that it is better for our skin Caroline? Does it calm down the skin? I have real problem now with all flowers and trees blooming :( Maybe it could an answer.
Does not do much for my skin as to calming it down, I still do better with salt bars. Now I am back on predisone to try to keep it under control.

To be honest, the only thing I notice is it gives a silky feel like silk does, which is, I assume, from the protein. Like anything in soap who knows what survives the lye, but it works for label appeal. Like anything people read something is fantastic for the skin and think it will be fantastic in soap!! LOL, whatever it takes to sell....

When I was in Cosmetology school back in the sixties we made egg white face masks for the drawing effect of the egg white, similiar to the effect of Activated Charcoal. If enough egg white was used I wonder if it would have a similiar de-tox as AC, although I am skeptical.

Back