"earthy" scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnm

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time figuring out what is "earthy" smelling.
Any opinions on EO or FO appreciated.

I've got patch and myrrh. Trying amyris (used it years ago) as a sandalwood alternative.
Never thought of oakmoss.

The above covers the basics. I also find dragon's blood to be strongly earthy and spicy. Bay rum has earthy notes under the strong spice.

Dragon's Blood, Egyptian Dragon and a blend of the two make a nice earthy. Hardwood Musk for California Candle Supply is a really versatile earthy, musky that can be mixed with citrus, florals etc. It is another one of my duped fo's. Vetiver EO is quite smokey and only needs to be used in small amounts. very small amounts, I have never tried but one, vetiver fo and it did not smell like the eo in my opinion. Big Sur from Soapalooza is another great fo that mixes well, to me it smells just like walking through a forest on a damp morning.

i'd like to try vetiver but....the price.
Is dragons blood always a FO?

i'd like to try vetiver but....the price.
Is dragons blood always a FO?
Vetiver is very expensive which is why I save it for lotion since it only takes a small percentage. It blends well with Lemongrass
Yes DB is an FO, although it is actually a very very red resin used to color paint and also used by burning in ceremonials. I have tried burning it and cannot say I really pick up a definite fragrance. In the past I have used DB infused oil for coloring but it needs to be in small amounts.

I've got patch and myrrh. Trying amyris (used it years ago) as a sandalwood alternative.
Never thought of oakmoss.

Amyris is much lighter smelling than sandalwood (I have both). It also has a sweet note that sandalwood doesn't have, and doesn't hit the woody notes nearly as much. I like amyris in its own right, but don't really think it makes a really good sub for sandalwood (in spite of what vendors and reviews say). Just too sweet.

Amyris is much lighter smelling than sandalwood (I have both). It also has a sweet note that sandalwood doesn't have, and doesn't hit the woody notes nearly as much. I like amyris in its own right, but don't really think it makes a really good sub for sandalwood (in spite of what vendors and reviews say). Just too sweet.
I agree with you about Amyris, I do not find it even remotely similar to sandalwood. It is nice and I do use it mixed with Cedarwood

Back