Eaaaaak, something went wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
Yes, I know it's soap lol buuuuuttttt.....what haaaaappened??? Soaped at room temp as I usually do (although the gm/lye mix and oils may have been a bit above).

I used Tallow this time round (I very rarely use any kind of animal fat but when I have i've had issues).

Poured it into the mould, covered and wahla...eaaaak, although the top stayed niice it did have some oil sitting on top with smal solidifies beads of fat?

When I sliced it, I had pockets of oil (deffinately not lye pockets) leaking, over all the soap has an oily feel, no zap, just weirdo looking. It also looks a lighter colour in the middle but not quite like an ungelled look.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tallow needs to be soaped warmer than room temp. Around 100 to 110 is a pretty good range for tallow. It's possible than the tallow got too cool and parts of it has solidified.

tallow is prone to false trace (as is lard), so if you have a high level it could be important to look for. soaping warmer (as SB recommends) at say 110F really helps with that. how much was in your formula?

SB and Carebear, you're both gems. Thankyou for heading me in the right direction.

Carebear, I used the following recipe:

Olive Oil -10 oz
Beef Tallow -10 oz
Coconut Oil -6 oz
Full Goatsmilk -9.8 0z
Lye -3.6 oz

I've rarely used Tallow and Lard and when I have i've had problems, i'm thinking you're both correct, my temps have been too low.

yea, hotter will help - both olive oil and tallow are very slow to trace!

looks delightful.

Back