dragons blood research

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
i posted about getting a sample of this resin at the health food store in the CP forum but since i didn't know much about it, i started researching it and found out that there is a good possibility that this stuff is good for among other things, the treatment of herpes lesions (maybe a good addition to a lip balm for people with cold sores?). i copy and pasted the following because i had no idea this was such a good thing and thought some of you might find it interesting. i am infusing some to make a tiny amount of salve to try out for my family.

The therapeutic properties of Dragon's blood includes the following: anesthetic, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-dysenteric, antifungal, anti-hemorrhagic (reduce bleeding), anti-leukemia, antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-tumor, antiviral, neurasthenic (reduce nerve pain) and wound healer and also includes analgesic (pain-reliever), anti-cancerous, anti-itch, anti-ulcerous and astringent properties.

It also has a protective action on the skin and coupled to the wonderful anti-bacterial properties makes it a natural to be included in a product to fight acne.

Not withstanding the anti-bacterial effect on the skin, it also exhibits powerful anti-viral properties.

Apart from all these very positive qualities, Dragon's blood also has very good anti-oxidant properties which also help to protect the DNA in the skin cell, which protects the skin from genetic alteration. REF 386

It also has a protective effect on the skin as it protects the skin from oxidative free radicals.

Another problem experienced by people suffering from problem or acne skin is the discomfort, pain and itching of the skin on a continual basis - and here dragon's blood helps to relieve the pain, itching, swelling and discomfort of the skin.

History of Dragon's Blood

This blood red sap harvested from the Croton lechleri tree has a very long history of use in traditional medicine in the Amazonian area.

The Indian and Mestizo population have always used the sap to treat wounds, which accelerates the healing process.

The first written reference to dragon's blood dates back to 1600's, when the Spanish naturalist P. Bernabé Cobo wrote about the curative power of the sap.

The sap was painted on wounds to staunch bleeding, to accelerate healing, and to seal and protect injuries from infection. As the sap dries, it forms a barrier - much like a "second skin."

It is used by indigenous people to externally treat wounds, hemorrhoids and fractures. Internally, it is used for stomach ulcers, as well as a douche for vaginal problems and discharge.

Furthermore, it is used for fevers and inflamed gums, vaginal baths - before and after childbirth, as well as hemorrhaging after childbirth - but most importantly to us - for skin disorders.

We use dragon's blood from a sustainable source - the trees are not felled for the sap, but the sap is harvested without harming the trees.

Compounds Found in Dragon's Blood

The active ingredient that most people focus on in Dragon's blood is the Taspine contained in the sap. It in actual fact also contains a host of other ingredients, with Taspine actually being one of the minor ingredients. An interesting point to note is that one of the other ingredients, SP-303 is under clinical investigation for its use in herpes lesions and a patent has been filed for this particular compound.

The list of compounds found in dragon's blood is rather impressive and includes the following: alpha-calacorene, alpha-copaene, alpha-pinene, alpha-thujene, beta-caryophyllene, beta-elemene, beta-pinene, betaine, bincatriol, borneol, calamenene, camphene, catechins, cedrucine, crolechinic acid, cuparophenol, D-limonene, daucosterol, dihydrobenzofuran, dimethylcedrusine, dipentene, eugenol, euparophenol, gallocatechin, gamma-terpinene, gamma-terpineol, hardwickiic acid, isoboldine, korberin A & B, lignin, linalool, magnoflorine, methylthymol, myrcene, norisoboldine, p-cymene, proanthocyanidins, procyanidins, resin, tannin, taspine, terpinen-4-ol, and vanillin.

hmm, I wish I could find that stuff anywhere. Maybe I should just grow the tree and harvest it myself ? :lol:

I use a Dragonblood FO for my shaving soap. It smells like Old Spice, but that usually goes down well with the men

Latest posts

Back