Dr. Squatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it sounds like I ought to seek out this Dr Squatch fellow, I have two words for you:

Ad Block

JK, it's really one word.

You'll never have to "skip this ad" again. There are no ads....

Attached are pix of my screen with and without an adblocker running....Guess I should become a Supporting Member now.....

Attachments

• ads.png
    ads.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 45
  • no ads.png
    no ads.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 45
@lenarenee - My apologies if I came off as argumentative, it was not my intent. This thread just struck a wrong chord with me; guy hits upon a great marketing strategy, becomes a huge success and then he is vilified for wanting to protect that success. We should be celebrating his success, not treating him like the enemy.

Absolutely no need to apologize - I couldn't tell what was going on so I asked, and reread what I wrote to see what I might have said.

I can understand why you appreciate this company's success.

My comments weren't to meant to vilify. If there was the equivalent of an "audio emoji", then the tone of my words would have been called, "chatting with friend over coffee about a pleasant interest". Because they are a local company, and a soap company, they interest me - despite the fact they don't make their own product. So, I hope you can see my opinion was just about preference, not a criticism - like talking with my neighbor about why I buy eggs from a local, rather than buy pasture eggs from a store. Nor a criticism to the fact you wanted to defend them.

I do have a bias against a lot of marketing practices; I'm surrounded by professional marketers here and the dinner conversations just really upsets me because they literally talk about how receiving training that tells them how to lie without actually lying! One discussion was about a fast food chain, who wanted help with their food ingredient list - specifically - they changed their french fries and now contained a milk ingredient - which takes them off the non-dairy allergen free list - and how do they market them as healthy?!!

So, take something like soap made with cheap oils, slap a shiny, professionally designed package on it, hire musicians to play a jig around it and sell it as a "premium, all natural" soap for $15.00 and I get angry! (this is not meant to speak to Squatch - just thinking about a woman at a local market who sells poor quality melt and pour soaps and sticks false labels on them, charges $15 while claiming cold process soap is dangerous) But pulling the wool over people's eyes is what a lot of marketing is about.

@lenarenee - My apologies if I came off as argumentative, it was not my intent. This thread just struck a wrong chord with me; guy hits upon a great marketing strategy, becomes a huge success and then he is vilified for wanting to protect that success. We should be celebrating his success, not treating him like the enemy.

Did you read the old post and look at what he thought was a copyright infringement? THAT is my issue with him. As far as I can tell the only similarities are that both soaps indicate being for Men.
I am all for celebrating someones success, but arrogance and pettiness annoy me. I wonder if he sent a cease and desist to all the folks on his "Soap for Men" google results?

Although it sounds like I ought to seek out this Dr Squatch fellow, I have two words for you:

Ad Block

JK, it's really one word.

You'll never have to "skip this ad" again. There are no ads....

Attached are pix of my screen with and without an adblocker running....Guess I should become a Supporting Member now.....

I dont think that works for YouTube though does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they are a local company, and a soap company, they interest me - despite the fact they don't make their own product. So, I hope you can see my opinion was just about preference, not a criticism - like talking with my neighbor about why I buy eggs from a local, rather than buy pasture eggs from a store.

I'm a bit confused here. Does one have to physically make their product in order for it to qualify has 'their' product? Does it cease to be 'your' product if an employee (or manufacturing company), following your recipe, physically makes the product?

Even more confused when you use the eggs analogy, because the only difference (IMHO) between pasture eggs you purchased direct from the farmer or from the egg aisle is the cost. But that's another subject.

But pulling the wool over people's eyes is what a lot of marketing is about.

I agree/disagree. (disagree) Marketing is about presenting a product in the best possible light (aka perception). Would you rather buy soap that contains Adeps Suillus or Lard (rendered pig fat)? How about a soap made with canola oil vs extra virgin olive oil or palm oil vs babassu oil? If we are honest with ourselves, Lard + Lye makes a good soap...are we really making a 'better' soap when you use a half dozen or more different oils and butters? Is EVO pressed by real virgins 'better' than the olive oil I get from Costco? Are soaps make with EOs 'better' than soaps made with FOs? Is a colorant I made from spinach 'better' than a green oxide pigment 'better' than a green mica? Is CP 'better' than CPOP 'better' than HP 'better" than MP?

(agree) Marketing is also about selling. Best marketing gimmick ever: "Lather, rince, repeat." Billions of dollars in shampoo has been sold because of those three little words. Along with billions of dollars conditioners and condition products because you have completely stripped your hair of natural oils. You want to talk about 'wool"? Claus Porto Banho 'premium' soap, 5.2 oz bar sells for $20.00. The description: "Claus Porto is a leading soap brand that comes from Portugal. Its label has created an empire on handcrafted soaps boasting of the most elite scents, created with traditional artisanal methods, and packaged uniquely with original artwork."

They are in Portugal and they do appear to use original artwork (which honestly doesn't mean anything as I have same on my frig from my 3-year granddaughter), but the 'handcrafted' and 'traditional artisanal methods' are a joke. You have only to read the ingredient list to know that they use the Continuous Process to break down vegetable oils (shea butter, palm oil and palm kernel oil) into fatty acids and glycerin and then mixed with salt. Some of the glycerin is added back in and after solidifying, the soap is then milled several times at which point color, fragrances and other assorted chemicals are added (like Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde), turned into noodles and machine pressed into bars.

Oh dear...gone off on a bit of a tangent here. Interesting discussion though.

I dont think that works for YouTube though does it?

Sure does! There are some news websites (but not many) and such that require me to sit through an ad before watching a video, but I just close those out. I didn't need that news that badly anyway.....

Back