Dr. Squatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't Dr. Squatch try to sue someone here? Saying the member's packaging/labelling was too similar to their own?
...runs off to search...
...yes, they did try to sue someone here. The claim was ridiculous, so I can't help but associate them with that incident. Makes me wonder how many people they sued or tried to sue to get where they are today.
Sorry for being so cynical.

Didn't Dr. Squatch try to sue someone here? Saying the member's packaging/labelling was too similar to their own?
...runs off to search...
...yes, they did try to sue someone here. The claim was ridiculous, so I can't help but associate them with that incident. Makes me wonder how many people they sued or tried to sue to get where they are today.
Sorry for being so cynical.
I remember that! I think of it every time i see the commercial, right before I hit "Skip this ad"

Thats too bad...how stupid, really. IMO...that said, I just went to Amazon and read some reviews for Dr. Squatch....the positive reviews are really entertaining...

Last edited:
Yep- they tried to sue Songwind.......who just happens to be a lawyer himself, so I don't know how far they were able to get. lol That left a bad taste in my mouth towards Dr. Squatch, but I still can't deny that their ads are pretty funny...... and in more ways than one. For example, one of their ads came up on my YouTube feed yesterday titled "Showering On The Beach with Strangers". In it, they took their soap to the beach and had random people read out loud the ingredients lists of competitor soaps in order to show how wonderfully natural the Squatch soaps are in comparison. I just about fell of my chair in incredulous laughter when one gal read 'sodium chloride" off a competitor ingredient list, complaining in her very next breath about words she can't even pronounce, and then in the following scene a guy reads the 'all natural' ingredients off of a Dr. Squatch soap, one of of which was "sea salt". Oh, my goodness! I can hardly believe that made it past the video editor! Way too funny! lol

IrishLass :)

I just about fell of my chair in incredulous laughter when one gal read 'sodium chloride" off a competitor ingredient list, complaining in her very next breath about words she can't even pronounce, and then in the following scene a guy reads the 'all natural' ingredients off of a Dr. Squatch soap, one of of which was "sea salt".

I confess... I had to google 'sodium chloride' to figure out what was so funny.... it's been a long week for me.
upload_2019-9-26_13-43-41.png

What is Dr Squatch ? American I presume.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/technology/sd-fi-drsquatch-20180921-story.html

I was really impressed when I read that article. After reading this thread today, I went back to the 2017 thread by wetshavingproducts and saw that he claimed Dr. Squatch is just re-selling soap made by the soap guy! Not to impressed anymore. (when seeing that picture from the paper, I couldn't understand how he was making that much soap in his garage - and now I know "how" he did it! :rolleyes:)

Regarding the suing. For trademark purposes, a trademark infringement needs only to be close enough to be able to confuse the customers as to whose product it is, so lawsuits over the similarity of packaging can happen. If I recall correctly without actually going back to the thread, I think it was the cease and desist letter that was mentioned in that thread, and not an actual lawsuit. In any case, I did search for the letter that I remember, and here is a link to the thread I remembered about this:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...certified-letter-in-the-mail-yesterday.63823/

I was really impressed when I read that article. After reading this thread today, I went back to the 2017 thread by wetshavingproducts and saw that he claimed Dr. Squatch is just re-selling soap made by the soap guy! Not to impressed anymore. (when seeing that picture from the paper, I couldn't understand how he was making that much soap in his garage - and now I know "how" he did it! :rolleyes:)

Actually, it's very impressive because it shows the importance of marketing. As to rest of what you said...:shaking head:

First, that claim sounds like sour grapes which is not uncommon.

Second, no he is not making soap out of the garage pictured in the article. Common sense aside that there is no way someone could manufacture, cure and distribute 1500-2000 soaps a day from the space in the pictured: 1) The caption on the picture clearly states that it is his 'soap lab'. 2) If you go to the 5th paragraph, it says that his soap is manufactured in Indiana and North Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it's very impressive because it shows the importance of marketing. As to rest of what you said...:shaking head:

First, that claim sounds like sour grapes which is not uncommon.

Second, no he is not making soap out of the garage pictured in the article. Common sense aside that there is no way someone could manufacture, cure and distribute 1500-2000 soaps a day from the space in the pictured: 1) The caption on the picture clearly states that it is his 'soap lab'. 2) If you go to the 5th paragraph, it says that his soap is manufactured in Indiana and North Carolina.

That's a good point about marketing.

The original poster commented soon after Squatch threatened legal action over labeling. He was a lawyer himself, so I would assume he found enough info on Squatch to state his claim accurately.

I did a little checking; I compared the ingredient list of The Soap Guy's soaps (not easy to find, either) and compared to Squatch, and they don't match up. So I figure 3 things are possible; Squatch has The Soap Guy use a special recipe that TSG doesn't mass produce for the typical buyer, the recipe has changed, it was never TSG's soaps they sold.

I'm still disappointed that "local boy made good" (I'm also from San Diego) isn't as good as I thought - meaning...he built from the ground up, including making his own product. But yes, credit is due for finding an unserved niche, and marketing.

The original poster commented soon after Squatch threatened legal action over labeling. He was a lawyer himself, so I would assume he found enough info on Squatch to state his claim accurately.

Just because he's a lawyer, doesn't mean he's accurate. It just means he knows how to word things without facing a libel suit.

I did a little checking; I compared the ingredient list of The Soap Guy's soaps (not easy to find, either) and compared to Squatch, and they don't match up. So I figure 3 things are possible; Squatch has The Soap Guy use a special recipe that TSG doesn't mass produce for the typical buyer, the recipe has changed, it was never TSG's soaps they sold.

While I haven't found anything to suggest that TSG manufacture anything but their own products for private labeling, would it matter if they did? I have a friend who has a company that sells makeup and skin care; when she first started out she made and packaged everything herself. Then she sent her recipes to a company that manufacturer to produce them in bulk. Eventually she moved on to a manufacturer that could produce and package her products. They are still the same products that she produced in her kitchen.

I'm still disappointed that "local boy made good" (I'm also from San Diego) isn't as good as I thought - meaning...he built from the ground up, including making his own product. But yes, credit is due for finding an unserved niche, and marketing.

He's not...at the time of the article, he had only been living in SD for a couple of years.

Just because he's a lawyer, doesn't mean he's accurate. It just means he knows how to word things without facing a libel suit.

*(My response marked with asterisk because they're being mis located on SMF) Hence my use of the word "assume" - showing that I didn't have evidence or fact to support my statement.

TheGecko said:
While I haven't found anything to suggest that TSG manufacture anything but their own products for private labeling, would it matter if they did? I have a friend who has a company that sells makeup and skin care; when she first started out she made and packaged everything herself. Then she sent her recipes to a company that manufacturer to produce them in bulk. Eventually she moved on to a manufacturer that could produce and package her products. They are still the same products that she produced in her kitchen.

*I think you misunderstand my reason for participating in this thread. Plus, I didn't not say anything about a problem with TSG making products for private label. I was talking about an older thread, and an opinion from it that I shared on this current thread.

*Have I upset you in some way; because I feel that you might be arguing with me?

*I'm having a conversation about a topic in which I'm curious and interested. Because Dr. Squatch has been in our local papers, at times I hear people bring the company up or they ask me, as a soap maker, what I think of the local company, and also I enjoy the commercials. There was speculation in this thread, and the earlier thread from a year (give or take) ago. I added my thoughts. Then, I remembered a post that had me re-thinking those thoughts, and went rifling around to check the facts. Then I commented again. I try to correct any mistakes or bad info I post.

TheGecko said:
He's not...at the time of the article, he had only been living in SD for a couple of years.

*He is. Have you lived in San Diego? Anyone who loves living here is automatically considered a San Diegan. No questions asked. There is a massive pride (the extent of which really annoys me) about "living in paradise" here. I hear the phrase MULTIPLE times every. single. day. Can't even tune into the local tv news channel without hearing about it.

Last edited:
@lenarenee - My apologies if I came off as argumentative, it was not my intent. This thread just struck a wrong chord with me; guy hits upon a great marketing strategy, becomes a huge success and then he is vilified for wanting to protect that success. We should be celebrating his success, not treating him like the enemy.

Latest posts

Back