Does it go in the fridge or under blankets??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteyfoozer

Reaction score
I have read and read, but clearly not enough! Does milk soap HAVE to go in the freezer, or does it get insulated?
I really want some to come out well, and its giving me fits! javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
I have rectangular wooden molds. It poured a nice cream color, but now its turning uggie brown. I didn't put it in the freezer, I put it on a shelf with the lids on.

I would never put milk soaps under a blanket (IMO). I don't normally put in the fridge, even though lots of people do. I would say it would depend on your soaping temp, if RTCP, which is what i do, then i doesn't heat up as much as regular CP. The major heat is what you want to avoid in milk soap, heat is what turns your milk soap to a dark, sometimes smelly bar. BUT if in doubt refrigerate.

I put milk soap in the freezer for a couple of hours then overnight in the fridge. Did you use any fo's? Some of those turn the soap brown too.

i oven process my milk soaps and they always come out fine. i do watch them to make sure they dont overheat though. my white always comes out creamy white, no tan or anything...

no FO or EO, but I did put honey and oatmeal in it. Its not quite as dark today, and I just can't decide if the smell is honey/oatmeal or burned...I am gunshy as I had one get REAL bad! I do think I will buy some pvc and try the freezer route next time! Everything was under 90 degrees when I mixed, but it sure heated up after I poured it.

peteyfoozer said:
I have read and read, but clearly not enough! Does milk soap HAVE to go in the freezer, or does it get insulated?
I really want some to come out well, and its giving me fits! javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
I have rectangular wooden molds. It poured a nice cream color, but now its turning uggie brown. I didn't put it in the freezer, I put it on a shelf with the lids on.

I had the same problem. I made a batch of my first GM soap, insulated it and it turned an ugly soft oily dark brown color!! Direction process to goat milk soap is very confusing! How long in the fridge? Or freezer??
Isn't there a step by step gm process anywhere?? :(

Krissy, you mean that you do HP milk soap or that you put your cp moulded soap in the oven ?
I have never put my cp soap in the oven (done HP now, still recently). I am shy to ask but still ... : do you put your wooden mould in the oven ? (175 degrees ?)

i use the green silicone molds, and i put my CP goat milk soaps in the oven at 170*. i have a batch in there now... i will post pics when it comes out. it is supposed to be light pink...

After may ruined batches that stank horribly, I've adopted the room temp CP method, then straight in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Works for me.

I don't insulate as I prefer my soaps to not gel. For a GM batch, the soap goes into the fridge or the freezer; up to overnight. I cut it when it comes to room temp.

krissy said:
i use the green silicone molds, and i put my CP goat milk soaps in the oven at 170*. i have a batch in there now... i will post pics when it comes out. it is supposed to be light pink...

So, I could put my gm soap in the oven for 170 degrees......for how long?
Do you cover it with anything?

Lyn said:
Im a huge fridge fan.............it all goes inthe fridge for the night and then oh the frustration of having to wait for it to come back to room temp for cutting LOL

ok, so the wooden soap mold goes in to the fridge for overnight.....then at room temp I cut it. How long does it cure???

Lyn said:
Im a huge fridge fan.............it all goes inthe fridge for the night and then oh the frustration of having to wait for it to come back to room temp for cutting LOL

I forgot to ask one more question.......do you cover the mold with anything while in the fridge?? Wax paper? Aluminum foil? Piece of lettuce? haha

i'm brand-new to the fridge method, but in desperation tried it on my last two batches after a goat-milk pumpkin batch turned out with a DISGUSTING scorched smell. so far so good!

do ungelled soaps take longer to cure than gelled, or are they about the same?

i always cover mine, gelled or ungelled, with plastic wrap to prevent ashy looking tops.

peteyfoozer said:
no FO or EO, but I did put honey and oatmeal in it. Its not quite as dark today, and I just can't decide if the smell is honey/oatmeal or burned...I am gunshy as I had one get REAL bad! I do think I will buy some pvc and try the freezer route next time! Everything was under 90 degrees when I mixed, but it sure heated up after I poured it.

I love adding honey to my soaps because it increases the bubbles and is also a humecatant...but it will cause your batch to heat up. Unless I'm shooting for a dark soap, I don't insulate but try my best to avoid gel phase. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just a matter of personal preference.

Lyn said:

Lyn, tried the GM soap recipe again. The 50/50 split of lye water and GM.
Looked really good at trace and pour. Got it in the fridge covered with wax paper at noon Sunday. Will it be ok to take it out of the fridge when I get home from work around 4:30 pm?? Or is that too long in the fridge?
Maybe take it out before I got to work and cut it when I get home??
Any suggestions??????

Kathie

SmellyKat said:
Lyn said:

Lyn, tried the GM soap recipe again. The 50/50 split of lye water and GM.
Looked really good at trace and pour. Got it in the fridge covered with wax paper at noon Sunday. Will it be ok to take it out of the fridge when I get home from work around 4:30 pm?? Or is that too long in the fridge?
Maybe take it out before I got to work and cut it when I get home??
Any suggestions??????

Kathie

WOO HOO. My GM soap turned out nice!!!! It is an off white color and smells a heavenly lavendar and bergomot!!!!! WOW. Thank you all for your patience and help!!!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back