Do you worry about your pipes and septic system??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder about all the soap residue hurting my pipes and septic system. I try and flush the sink with hot water after washing up from making soap, but I have visions of hardened soap all throughout my pipes and septic system. Any thoughts? Are you guys concerned? What do you do as a precaution?

I wonder about this myself, but it has not yet stopped me from washing my pots in the sink. My biggest concern is the pot I melt my solid fats in.

When I do cold process, I do NOT wash the bowls/spatulas/stick blender without first wiping the batter off with rags. I DO, however, sometimes dump soap shavings in my sink, thinking "it's soap, it will wash away," but lately I've started wondering.

Hey, don't know about the piping, but soap is not good for your septic tank... It seriously disturbs the process of dissolving your waste.

I work with a guy who has a septic service business on the side. He told me that any kind of chemical you wash down your drain is not good for your septic tank. There is good bacteria in there that dissolves the solids and chemicals kill it.

He told me that the best thing you can put down your drain to encourage the good bacteria to grow is spoiled milk.

I was told by our local septic pumper to put a package of active dry yeast down our toilet every month to keep it working properly but I found this on the web.

"An inexpensive way to keep your septic system working properly, is to take one packet of dry yeast and a box of brown sugar and pour this down your toilet about every 3-4 months. I learned about this many years ago, and during the 12 years I'd been doing this, I never had a problem with the septic system.

Seems the yeast and brown sugar put beneficial bacteria back into your system, that may have been diminished through the use of chemical cleaners & etc.

Palomino"

Rissa

Funny this should come up. :wink: My parents own a septic pumping business and DH works for them! (Not a pretty job... LOL).

DH is napping right now but when he wakes up I'll ask him about this and find out what you should/shouldn't be putting into your septic systems! We're not on a septic tank so I'm not sure without asking him. I'll get back to you guys!

OK so I just talked to DH about this...

He said that unless you are flushing lye water or pouring straight lye water down your drains, that the "chemicals" from your soap won't affect your septic system. It's no different than the soap and shampoo that gets washed down the drain in your tub.

He also said that the yeast thing is a good idea but he recommends sprinkling it directly into your septic tank rather than flushing it (says it will work better). He also said to flush raw hamburger meat down your toilet to help with the bacteria too (ew, nasty!) :wink:

HTH!

AshleyR said:
He also said to flush raw hamburger meat down your toilet to help with the bacteria too (ew, nasty!) :wink: HTH!

Ewww, that just brings up really gross visuals for me. But thanks for the info, I'll do that, and bad milk, and sugar, and maybe even the yeast. :wink:

NMAriel said:
AshleyR said:
He also said to flush raw hamburger meat down your toilet to help with the bacteria too (ew, nasty!) :wink: HTH!

Ewww, that just brings up really gross visuals for me. But thanks for the info, I'll do that, and bad milk, and sugar, and maybe even the yeast. :wink:

LOL, I know.. I cringed when he said that, but he says it works... and I can see why... yick!

Gross!!
When I have finished soaping I wipe all my stuff (pots,bowls,spatulas,spoons) with those chux blue wipes. You can buy them on a roll for about $6, or even just paper towels will wipe most of it away. Then I just leave it in the laundry tub with hot water for a day, then it just rinses away. This wouldn't work if you left stacks of soap in the pots though. I like the idea that someone else said on here about clean up, they have a couple of tea towels they use to wipe everything off with, then leave the towels for a couple of days, then throw them in the wash, the soap on the towels washes off and boosts the laundry.

I just wanted to add that i had to get a plumber out recently due to blockages...I hadnt been cleaning off enough of the soap stuck to my pots, and the plumber said that anything more solid than water can turn to sludge at the bottom of the pipes, causing blockages. He had to clean out a lot of goopy soap residue, and recommended I shoot through some lye every week or so, as well as making sure the pots and pans were as clean as possible before washing them. I do have very old clay pipes however.

NMAriel said:
I'm starting to wonder about all the soap residue hurting my pipes and septic system. I try and flush the sink with hot water after washing up from making soap, but I have visions of hardened soap all throughout my pipes and septic system. Any thoughts? Are you guys concerned? What do you do as a precaution?
good thread, i always wondered about my septic, i will paper towel everything out first, jic!

I wash my pots etc. in a dish pan and then throw the water outside. No harm has ever come to the lawn or garden from doing this. That's how they used to do it in the "olden days" before there was running water and plumbing. (Don't ask me how I know) :wink:

Callmebubbles said:
He had to clean out a lot of goopy soap residue, and recommended I shoot through some lye every week or so,
WHAT????
smiley1669.gif
Waste soapmaking supplies by washing down the drain? Seriously, after adding my lye water, I set the container in the sink and run cold water in it and let it overflow. Hopefully it "cleans" the drain. I also wipe most all the residue off the utensils and pots. If I am lazy, I wait 'til the next day when it is soap to wash everything. And every now and then, I clean the garbage disposal out with baking soda and vinegar. Probably more so just to see the volcano effect 'cuz I am easily amused.

Digit

digit said:
Callmebubbles said:
He had to clean out a lot of goopy soap residue, and recommended I shoot through some lye every week or so,
WHAT????
smiley1669.gif
Waste soapmaking supplies by washing down the drain? Seriously, after adding my lye water, I set the container in the sink and run cold water in it and let it overflow. Hopefully it "cleans" the drain. I also wipe most all the residue off the utensils and pots. If I am lazy, I wait 'til the next day when it is soap to wash everything. And every now and then, I clean the garbage disposal out with baking soda and vinegar. Probably more so just to see the volcano effect 'cuz I am easily amused.

Digit

Oh Digit you are so funny. But seriously, I think we are long lost sisters. This is EXACTLY what I do, even down to the baking soda and vinegar part. LOL

Back