Do you really need to include liquid oils in your recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridnovir

Reaction score
I am trying to create a tallow/lard recipe - my objective is to simplify it while retaining the good qualities of the soap. It turns out the recipe looks nicer (at least on paper) without liquid oils. Although the conditioning number drops due to less Oleic. My question - is there a good reason to include liquid oil? Will this soap be ok with a low conditioning number? Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 8.30.18 PM.png

One of my fave recipes has no liquid oils at all. You certainly don't need them but be prepared for the batter to move fairly quickly. I didn't need to blend for long before emulsion. I did have time to separate into three parts and do an ITP swirl but by the time I was ready to do the tops, the batter was already starting to stiffen up. (Pic added to show the top - by the time I took the pic, it was already firm enough to do the top in the second pic.)

1.png 2.png

My favorite soap recipe for my skin is 75% lard, 20% CO, and 5% castor. Granted, castor is a liquid oil, but if you are only using it at 5%, you don't need to keep much around. If you add sugar or aloe vera juice for more bubbles, and cure these bars for 8 weeks, they are very conditioning and have a lotion-like lather.

My question - is there a good reason to include liquid oil?

You mean Soft Oils (oils that are liquid at room temperature) because you have to melt your Hard Oil to liquid to make soap.

But to answer your question if you need to have Soft Oils in your recipe...no, just as you don't have to have Hard Oils. It's all about what you want in your soap.

Back