Do salt soaps retain FO better?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
I stumbled upon some old (2 years?) salt soap the other day and remarked at how strong the fragrance still was (3 different varieties). That being said, the FOs I used for all my salt soaps were from the same collection (Crafter's Choice Beach Fragrance Oil Collection) so perhaps they're just very strong FOs. Any thoughts?

I have the opposite experience: fragrance fades quickly in my salt soaps. But I do have some new-to-me ocean-type scents, also from CC (including Sea Salt and Driftwood), so maybe I should revisit that.

@AliOop Sea Salt and Driftwood sticks well in my salt bars. @MGM I think it depends on the FO. I've had some stick and some not, which I know isn't too helpful as far as your question goes. I think if the FO is strong and lasting in CP, there is a good chance it will hold in salt bars as well. I haven't used too many EOs in my salt bars, but the few I've tried seem to fade a little more than in CP.

Salt Soaps and I aren't friends, but I just gave my son a bar of Chocolate Expresso (BB) that I had stashed away from last fall (2020) and it still smelled good.

Thanks everyone. I should've said that I've ONLY used these Beach FOs in salt soap, not in any other recipe, so it could just be the FO. Yes Sea Salt & Driftwood is one of them. Can smell that fella a mile away! And the Mermaid one, too. My newest batch uses Beach Daisies so I'll let you know (in a few years) how that one's holding up...

Yes Sea Salt & Driftwood is one of them. Can smell that fella a mile away!
You got that right. I just tried Sea Salt & Driftwood for the first time a couple of days ago. Smells like men's cologne and behaved worse than a toddler who's missed both snacks and nap. That cloying smell gives me a terrible headache, so these soaps will shortly be moving to the house of my husband's friends who loves that lounge lizard cologne scent. 🥴 (My apologies to anyone who likes it).

Last edited:
@AliOop I didn't find Sea Salt and Driftwood to be problematic. I think I expected it to be a bit of a lighter/fresher scent, but it is quite woody. I don't mind it, but it isn't my favorite and I won't reorder. I keep trying to find an ocean/beachy FO I like that behaves well, or at least isn't too awful to work with. Haven't found it yet, and I've tried quite a few.

Latest posts

Back