Do I need to cover my CP soap during the first 24 hours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie13

Reaction score
I made 2 batches of CP soap and I've seen several tutorials online but they differ about what to do once you mold your batch. Some say cover it with a towel or cloth for 24 hours and others just say put it in the mold and let it sit for 24 hours. Any advice?

Covering it could prevent ash, and could also help insulate to ensure gel, but other than that, there is no real need to cover.
I always cover mine with cling wrap to prevent ash and to make sure no foreign particles get on it when I wrap it up for gelling purposes.

This is not a "make or break" decision. So don't agonize over it!

Do you want to gel? If so, covering your soap with something thick (like a towel or a box) can trap warmth in and encourage gel. If you don't want to get, I would recommend not covering, although not covering will not guarantee no gel.

Do you have a cat? I do recommend covering the soap or put it someplace a cat can't reach it, if you have a cat. Also, if you have a lot of pets (we have 9) there is a certain amount of free-floating hair. So I keep my soap covered in the mold, and when it's sliced it goes in boxes covered by cheese cloth.

The only way to hasten saponification is to HP (hot process) it. However, I think you might be (correct me if I am wrong, please) confusing saponification and cure.

Saponification takes up to a week to occur. It is the process of the alkali reacting with the oils to become soap.

Cure takes place after saponifcation. It takes at least 4 weeks, but up to a year, depending on the oils used.

Gel means that the soap has heated up enough to make it appear vaseline like. It is not necessarily part of saponification. But it does mean that your soap will harden a little faster for unmolding and cutting.

DeeAnna has an awesome explanation of this, and I will edit to link it as soon as I can find it.

ETA: Here you go: https://classicbells.com/soap/cure.html

Whether you decide to insulate your soap or not, I would cover it with something (plastic wrap, cheesecloth, newspaper...) to keep dust and hair off of it, or put it someplace protected like in an oven. Just don't forget it's in there and turn the oven on...

Back