Disposing of lye-oil solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherri64

Reaction score
I was going to divide my liquid in half so that it was half water & half aloe liquid. Rather than halving it I ended up doubling it as I was interrupted in the process. I didn't catch the mistake until after I had added this lye solution to my oils! Wondering why it was SO runny I rethought what I had done! I do not have enough lye left to double up on the oils and lye so this is a fail for sure! Luckily it's avery small batch with only 2.7 oz of lye and 16oz of oils. Do you think this could go down my sink? We do have a septic system. Should I wait for the lye to become less caustic over some time? I know that it is not much lye so I'm not too worried about that going down the drain. I think what I'm more worried about is the 13 oz of coconut oil going into my pipes and septic - although now it is mixed with lots of liquid with the little lye! Might that stop the coconut oil from hardening in my pipes? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I do not have enough lye left to double up on the oils and lye so this is a fail for sure!
Maybe not. What you have is too much water so why not dump it into a stainless steel pot and cook it down range top until the excess water evaporates? Does that make sense?

Do not dump down your drain. It won't be caustic and will likely plug your pipes.
I'd try to cook the excess water out like suggested.
If that doesn't work or you don't want to bother, I would pour it in a sealable container like a coffee can and toss it.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I hadn't thought of cooking it down. We didn't want to put it down the pipes so did find another way to dispose of it. I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions!

Latest posts

Back