Disappearing EO scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Has anyone ever had their EO scent disappear or fade out after mixing it into the soap?

I made a soap tonight using Palm Kernel, Mango Butter, Avocado Oil and Shea Butter. My oils and lye solution had cooled for about an hour before I mixed them. I added 2 ounces of Rainforest EO blend (Coriander & Peppermint) to the 32 ounces of oils at light trace. I SB'd the EO into the oil for a short time, and as the soap thickened, I noticed that the scent had almost completely disappeared. It was replaced by a faint ammonia smell. This occured within the time span of about 10 seconds.

It's been an hour since I poured it into the mold. The scent is almost entirely gone! Any ideas on what could have happened?

PS. This EO blend was reviewed on WSP as remaining strong and true in CP soap.

Some EO's and FO's have different flash points. It's the temperature at which they get too hot and "burn off". Did you insulate your soap, put it in the oven, add honey, milk, or sugar? Any of those could have contributed to it heating up too much and burning off the scent.

I made a peppermint EO soap a few weeks ago and you can hardly smell it now. I know it didn't burn off because it was really strong for the first week or so, but now you can hardly tell it's there. I wonder if peppermint EO is similar to citrus EO's in that it fades quickly. Anyone know?

The scent disappeared as I was mixing it into the soap! By the time I poured into the mold I could barely smell it at all, and a faint ammonia smell was detectable. I soaped fairly cool so I don't think heat was the issue.

I haven't had any problems with my peppermint soaps.... I soap at 100 degrees and then put in a 170 degree oven for an hour, turn the heat off and let it sit in there for another hour, then take it out. I use .75 oz of EO ppo and the scent comes out just fine, though it does tend to fade over time. I'm going to be using a full ounce ppo in my next batch.

This case was different though, like I said the scent disappeared about 10 seconds into mixing it into the soap.

Sorry, I should have read your post a little better! ;)

Hmmm... no idea what could have happened! Hopefully someone will come along and give you an answer! :)

Yeah, it's really weird... this EO blend got great reviews from other soapers who ordered it from WSP as I did.

I wonder if stick blending the EO into the oil could have broken it down? Even though I only did so for about 10 seconds...

where did you get the eo....i'm not familiar w/ WSP....

i just cut a batch of spearmint soap that i got the eo from brambleberry. it's a very strong smelling spearmint.....it's wonderful...love how my room smells now! we'll see if it lasts or not....i'ts the first time i've soaped w/ it.

i wonder if the source of the eo has anything to do with it??? quality control and all of that?

Deborah, I got the EO blend from WholesaleSuppliesPlus.com. I've ordered many other EOs from them, as well as base oils. Really good quality stuff, and customers can leave reviews on the products which is really helpful.

This particular EO blend got great reviews from several customers who used it in their CP soap as I did, so it's a mystery at this point.

I'm wondering if the scent will return as the soap cools.

Latest posts

Back