Digital pH meter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to have a meter you can calibrate, and how to calibrate it. You also have to dilute the soap properly. It is not enough just to stick the meter in.

Why are you so concerned about pH? If you are thinking you are getting away without zap testing, you won't. You need to know if the soap is safe, not what the pH is. Zap test tells you that, not the pH meter.

You have to have a meter you can calibrate, and how to calibrate it. You also have to dilute the soap properly. It is not enough just to stick the meter in.

Why are you so concerned about pH? If you are thinking you are getting away without zap testing, you won't. You need to know if the soap is safe, not what the pH is. Zap test tells you that, not the pH meter.

I trust the zap test !
just curious if meter works ( think toys)
Wouldn’t dilution change pH and what is proper dilution

It’s sounding easier just to do zap test

The dilution often used is 1% to 10% pure soap by weight in distilled water. But Susie's right.

If you want to use a pH meter to do the equivalent of a zap test, learn how to do the test for excess alkalinity.

I like toys, too. But if they are expensive and I wouldn't need them very often, I try not to spend the money. Still, I do like toys, so sometimes need and frequency of use doesn't factor in, so much as 'I just want that for the fun of it.' So I do get where you are coming from.

As lsg says, it may be useful, particularly if you make cosmetics and utilize surfactants or preservatives.

Back