Differences between butters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Cocoa butter, shea butter, kokum butter, and mango butter - what are the differences between them? In my observation, the others seem to absorb faster than cocoa butter, but I can't say I see any real difference between teh other 3 when I use them.

I can't think of any others. I'm not counting butters blended with hydrogenated vegetable oil, like avocado butter.

(And why are some solid fats butters, and not others, btw?)

I have taken a liking to Mango Butter. I find that it gives my soaps an extra creamy conditioning feel. I love the way it feels on my skin. It's my favorite of the butters. I also use Shea and Cocoa Butter in my soaps.

I use Cocoa Butter to add some hardness. I don't have much real comparison data, I just know what I like. ;)

Last edited:
I am partial to mango in bath and body products. Love it is balms!!!! Smooth, with a satiny feel.
I love shea in my cp soap. Creamy and conditioning. I do use cocoa butter in soap as well, but prefer shea. To be honest, a main reason I prefer shea butter is the price tag. It is the cheapest of all butters and I like to put a good 20% or more in my cp.

i have only tried shea, cocoa, and mango. shea on its own is a bit too heavy for my taste, but if mixed with mango it's just the right thing. mango butter is the lightest of all 3.

i'm talking about b&b products, like creams, lotions. soap is another whole different issue. i like to save my butters for b&b.

I use mostly shea, cocoa butter and mango butter, but my favorite is allanblackia fat which comprises of mainly stearic and oleic fatty acids. It makes beautiful, creamy and moisturising bar soaps. It also makes a thicker liquid soap without the addition of salt or other thickeners

Allane

Mango for the lotions, shea for the eczema lotion , I do not like cacao butter in lotion, but I like it in CP soaps. They all beneficial for skin, :)

I have taken a liking to Mango Butter. I find that it gives my soaps an extra creamy conditioning feel.

I agree that mango butter adds a nice, creamy feel.

Shea butter is nice for the hair in my opinion and cocoa butter adds a nice scent as long as I don't use too much of it. I am unsure of kokum, but it is suppose to be nice and may even be good for anti-aging products. I'd have to research it when I get the chance.

Latest posts

Back