Did I screw up my first salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
So I used a recipe of:
80% Coconut Oil
15% Castor Oil
5% Shea Butter
1 tsp ppo coconut milk powder
Normal water, no discount
Salt was 50% of my oil amount
Spiced mahogany FO

Things did not start out well, my soap traced pretty quickly. I mixed in the salt the best I could, and poured, followed by spooned it all into my mold. The soap was grainy and solidified pretty quick. Its been about 20 min.

Is it supposed to be grainy? Do you think I saved it? :shock: Thanks in advance for any expertise offered!

Well, I have a grand total of one salt bar experience, and I would say that the soap did in fact look "grainy", in the sense that it looked like it had a lot of salt in it. Which it did - same salt weight as oil weight. It does solidify quickly. I cut mine at 1 3/4 hrs after pouring.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I feel a little better now... although I just peeked on it and its oozing FO. Because My recipe was a total of 50 oz (34 oz of oil and 16 oz of salt) I added 2 oz of FO. Maybe not such a good idea!

I wouldn't worry to much just yet. OFten the FO will get readsorbed into the soap.

I took a picture on my phone to post real fast. I've never posted one before so I hope this works! This is some very ugly soap! No zap, so I'll keep it and give it a try. And the FO did reabsorb. :D

1238421581335-1.jpg

It's not that bad. I've made uglier LOL! It's definitely got a rustic look to it. :D

And trust me when I say I've made uglier...I tried to get a lime green & purple swirl, with added lavender, um...it's a funky yellowish color with brown splotches from the whole lavender. Reminds me of puke LOL Oh well, I'm waiting for my colorants & FO's to be here tomorrow, & then I'm at it again!!!!

Back