deodorant too greasy...how do i fix it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tabitha and Lindy for your suggestions. I have been pouring my mixture fairly warm, so you could be right about the powders sinking. I think I will maybe try to melt my oils and butters together and pour them into a separate storage container. Then couldn't I do as Tabitha suggested and just scoop out about 2 oz at a time and when I remelt it I could add my powders ( which for 2 oz would be 2 TBSP) , Essential oils and tinosan and pour up into my container. Wouldn't this work? It would be less work if I am only making a tube or two at a time. My husband and I will probably be the only ones using it unless I can get my family to convert.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help and suggestions. I appreciate everyone who helped.

I've also been playing with deodorant formulations and I've come up with something that works very well for me.
It's a no wax recipe and I have to say it feels a lot smoother and nicer than the one with wax. It feels less oily and works pretty well :)
The only ones that worked for me were the commercial antiperspirants heavy on the side of aluminium and from all my attempts this comes closest to them.
I don't have exact quantities because I didn't measure but I used:
-shea butter
-corn startch
-sodium bicarbonate
-lavender and tea tree essential oils (plenty)
So I melted the shea in the microwave and added 1:3 parts of sodium bicarb:corn startch till it formed a paste the consistency of mashed potatoes. After it cooled down a bit (but still soft) I added the ess oils and spooned it into a twist up deodorant container (I had to tap it onto the counter a few times to level it).
This works very well for me and it doesn't stain my closing like the beeswax formulation used to do.
hth
:)

Sounds like the beeswax is what causes that "cant wash off" feeling. I have noticed in the shower that no matter how much I scrub, my armpits feel like they are coated and even a little sticky. I don't like this, so I think I will try your idea and eliminate the was completely. Thank you for your suggestions.

I used palm kernel flakes, corn starch and baking soda and tea tree oil. I am not 100% happy with it, I think commercial stick is better...but we'll see

I just made some today, and it came out perfect. Not greasy, and smooth enough to apply without hair or skin removal.

1.25oz beeswax
0.5oz cocoa butter
1.25oz coconut oil
10-12 drops EO (I used lemosgrass oil)

I make my deodorant like a lotion. the water phase has witch hazel in it, which I read will help. I put the powders in after the oil phase and water phase have emulsified. The only thing is that I have to rub in on with my fingers as I can't find a tube that will take a lotion. No greasy feeling.

ToniD said:
I make my deodorant like a lotion. the water phase has witch hazel in it, which I read will help. I put the powders in after the oil phase and water phase have emulsified. The only thing is that I have to rub in on with my fingers as I can't find a tube that will take a lotion. No greasy feeling.

I make mine like a lotion also ToniD, except it's a very thin lotion and I put it in roll on bottles (purchased bottles from Camden Grey). Just took my favorite lotion recipe and tweaked it to thin it out, added the powders and the essential oils to help with the deoderizing. No greasiness whatsoever, and no white transfer to my clothing. Love it!

Thanks Rubyslippers! That is helpful! I had found roll on bottles, except I would have to buy 1000 of them..... :)

ToniD said:
Thanks Rubyslippers! That is helpful! I had found roll on bottles, except I would have to buy 1000 of them..... :)

You can buy them a dozen at a time from Camden Grey. Also found them on ebay. I think the seller was more_than_bottles. Not sure about that seller name, but they sell them in lots of 15 or 100; price is competitive with CG. Works out to about $1.25 per bottle which is kind of expensive, but cheaper than buying deoderant off the shelf and at least you have control over what you apply to your body.

Whoops.....didn't mean to get off topic from the original post; guess it just evolved :oops:

ToniD what powders did you use? I'm also trying to make mine less greasy.
This person you quoted hasn't been here for 7 yrs, if you look at the date of the post, it is from 14 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back