deflated. they showed up..the dos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
On my lovely 100% OO soaps. Not all of them, but a couple and it's really upsetting.
I made these at the beginning of August, and it's been a horrifically humid summer here, so I'm guessing that did it? Anyway, I'm going to keep my eye on the rest. Do the spots always spread to the whole batch? I used individual molds. :cry:

:(
No good.
I've put 100%oo in the too hard basket. I get dos too.

For me the dos spread & spread & spread till it was scary to keep it in the house in fear of it contanimating my good soaps.

nattynoo said:
:(
No good.
I've put 100%oo in the too hard basket. I get dos too.

For me the dos spread & spread & spread till it was scary to keep it in the house in fear of it contanimating my good soaps.

oo, that stinks.
now I'm scared, though, can it really spread to my good soaps??

I have never had Dos spread ever- I have only had it once.

Since nobody knows why it happens then I guess it's possible to spread to a good soap but I doubt. My thinking is Dos comes from old oils or too much free oil that can go rancid fast.

What did you superfat the OO soap at?

herbaliser, that article is interesting. I guess I'm going to have to try some muslin bags. Or maybe some Calendula, ha.

Stinkydancer said:
I have never had Dos spread ever- I have only had it once.

Since nobody knows why it happens then I guess it's possible to spread to a good soap but I doubt. My thinking is Dos comes from old oils or too much free oil that can go rancid fast.

What did you superfat the OO soap at?

Well, I hope that that's true. Were your soaps that DOS'ed mostly soft-oil soaps? My SF was only 5%, but the humidity was VERY high much of the time this summer- I'm really glad it's over. I did notice my poor soaps sweating.

It's been forever but it really wasn't that soft- other than the 15% Canola. I haven't soaped it since. It was Olive heavy too but I had plenty of palm and coconut.

I shouldn't have said that Salty.
I honestly don't know if it spreads to be honest I just fear it will. :lol:
Dos just scares the heck out of me.

A few things I have learned from others regarding avoiding DOS:

Soaps need to be stored in an area with low humidity and out of sunlight. Use a dehumidifier or air conditioner in your curing room. I also use a fan on my soaps in the summer.

Once cured, store your soaps in closed containers. (I use cardboard baseball card storage boxes, but many use plastic bins with lids)

Canola has been known to cause DOS, so keep the %'s low, or remove it from your recipe altogether. (I know there are people who don't have this problem with canola, but if you are having DOS issues, remove those things that could be contributors)

Keep your combined linoleic, linolenic acid levels below 15%.

Check to make sure you are buying your oils from a reputable supplier with a good track record. (no adulterated olive oils)

According to the study done on the Caveman Science site, sf % has nothing to do with DOS.

Add ROE to your soft oils as soon as they arrive. Lotioncrafter sells one that is 7%, and very high quality.

Those are just a few things that should help. :eek:)

If you use high oleic sunflower oil, you should be OK although I wouldn't use it as a dominant oil in your recipe.

I haven't gotten DOS with high OO soaps but some threads I have read suggest that cheaper varieties do better in soap in the long term than EVOO. That's second hand info, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I had some DOS on the bottom of a couple of bars out of one batch. I cut it off and moved on.

Latest posts

Back