Cutting Date.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_gold_hound

Reaction score
I was wondering if soap gets too hard to cut after a certain amount of curring?

The reason I ask this is I would like to cure most of the soap in the larger molds and if I am at a show cut it right in frount of the customer.

I know this is realy early to ask being that I havent even made my first batch. I just need some of this as I am putting together my buisness plan.

I just made a log of Castile last week using a high lye ratio and it was impossible to cut the next day with a knife, flaked everywhere. I had to get out the wire cutter to make a presentable bar. :oops:

I know a couple of ladies who make soap a few days before a big show and have a "use after this date" disclaimer. I will stay tuned to this thread to see what other soapers say...

For instance, those beautiful logs that LUSH and Sabon have, you know some of those logs sit on the shelf for months...

Yes depends on your recipe and your lye solution amount.

When I do a 40% lye solution, I cut the same day.
When I do my 34% lye solution, I cut the next day

If I do a 90% coconut and 10% shea soap, I better cut it in a few hours. Ask me how I know :wink:

So, the answer is yes.

I know it's possible to cut your soap by the slice at fairs and shows because I've seen it done, but it's going to take some time experimenting with different formulas and lye solution strengths to come up with a recipe that you like, and which also stays sliceable for a certain amount of time.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I know it's possible to cut your soap by the slice at fairs and shows because I've seen it done, but it's going to take some time experimenting with different formulas and lye solution strengths to come up with a recipe that you like, and which also stays sliceable for a certain amount of time.

IrishLass :)

Very true, it requires a softer soap recipe. I did that for a short time (a pita) but when I make m 90% coconut oil and 10% shea soap lol.. I was in trouble lol

Mickey - do you think that's because you know what's what with soaping? do you think the average consumer sees it that way?

My problem is that even a well cured soap (in terms of mildness) will loose significant water after it's cut and has a new surface area showing - I obsess over such details. This said, it's a popular and successful technique for some.

I have seen uncut logs at a market with a cut bar in front for people to pick up and handle/smell. This was for display only and if a customer bought a bar then they had pre-packaged ones behind the stall. An option if you are going for the effect of how pretty/colourful a log looks uncut, yet still have your soaps cut earlier?

Tanya :)

Well shut you all had me down for a second then my mother of all people came up with an idea for me :idea: She suggested I take a bit of soap and try cutting a block with a fine toothed jig saw blade. I might just try this. What my plans are is to make my own power soap cutter that has a rustic look to it. Maybe build most of it out of wood with band saw type blade.

What do you all think? Would it work or brake the soap?

Man I am glad I moved back in with my mom! She is so helpful. Don't worry I am not one of them 34 year olds that lives with mom just because. I did it when she got cancer and was going to loose her business if she didn't have help. So I am here for another 5 years tell she retires. I am sooooo glad that she caught her cancer in time.

I'm just wondering, if soap has become quite hard (like a week or so since pouring), could you possibly cut it smoothly with a heated cutter? How you would get a cutter heated up at a craftshow booth is another problem in itself tho :roll:

EmilyKate said:
I'm just wondering, if soap has become quite hard (like a week or so since pouring), could you possibly cut it smoothly with a heated cutter? How you would get a cutter heated up at a craftshow booth is another problem in itself tho :roll:

like I said I havent got my first batch done yet but Yes I could heat a blade. I would use a 6v high AMP batterie. If I needed a couple that would be no problem as I have a few golf cart batteries available. I figured my motor that I could use for a saw blade would last almost 2 hours. That is if it was running all the time. So I sould be able to go 6 hours on one batterie. I don't know how many amps I would use to heat a wire but I am sure it would be less.

carebear said:
Mickey - do you think that's because you know what's what with soaping? do you think the average consumer sees it that way?

My problem is that even a well cured soap (in terms of mildness) will loose significant water after it's cut and has a new surface area showing - I obsess over such details. This said, it's a popular and successful technique for some.

It's possible that's why I see it that way. I suppose it depends on the buyer. I see what they are going for but for me I'd rather see something more finished. That said I do like the idea of small demos to show people some of the art and magic involved.

Latest posts

Back