cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulbay

Reaction score
I'm curious about wire cutters....do they tend to cut better than the stainless steel push down types??

What makes it better...or not? I'm not sure if I should get one or not.

Thank you :)

If you have can afford to get a wire one , I say go for it , they do a great job of cutting the soap very nicely . You don't have to have one though to cut the soap , a miter box works , a wire on 2 pencils works , I have a homemade cutter that works fantastic , I use a flat blade cutter or a crinkle cutter , some people cut soap with a knife .

Kitn

wow, that is really nice! $150 not so nice....

Thank you for sharing! I'm going to probably get one....or try the wire on 2 pencils first. :) I love getting new ideas.

I had bought a nice cutter years ago, there is a quitar wire in this contraption and nuts that tighten if it needs it. The wire cuts them so nicely, I really like it.

Mine is the wire on two pvc pipes (for now). I found that a thicker blade of a knife or push-down cutter tends to push the soap away, leaving the soap slices to not be accurate in weight or straight slices.

What SimplyE said...I couldn't figure out for the longest time what was wrong. I couldn't make a straight cut with a knife to save my life, so I purchased one of the log cutters with the straight blade. Still not straight! I'm thinkin' geeeeeez - even with a cutting guide I can't cut it straight! Turns out it wasn't me...now I still use the log cutter for the guide, but use a wire with a couple of chopsticks to make the cut. Much better!

i love using a "taping" knife that is at lowes ot any hardwere store, it it normally used for mudding drywall. thats all i use.

Wire cuts better than a knife because of the amount of volume of material you're passing through the soap. Allow me to explain, a knife is thicker and taller than a wire so when cutting a loaf it will tend to distort the bars (not by much though). Since you have to push so much more metal through the loaf it also takes much more force.

I've exerimented with this and found that even the diameter of the wire makes a difference, the thinner the wire, the easier the cut. This is especially important when you're cutting through 35 bars at a shot :D

NatureandNurture said:
I use a wire cake leveler made by Wilton, it's only about $3 or so, and a mitre box. ;)

I bought one of these too, and tried it once, on whipped soap....it would not slice through at all...never tried it again. Perhaps I will try again with another type of soap.

donniej, yes, that makes sense. Thank you :)

I wondered if a cheese slicer would work? The type that has a wire and a wheel. Does anyone know if the wheel were removed, would the slicer cut soap?

Back