Curious...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
After reading here a bit about yogurt soap I decided to try one. Just a quick experiment to see how it worked. I used soapcalc with it defaulted at 38% h2o. So after spliting the water I used

32oz Olive oil
6.16 H2O
4.118 Lye
6oz Yogurt (Greek full fat honey flavored which has cane sugar before honey on the ingredients) added after mixing prior to trace

Poured the batter into a vertical mold (PVC gutter downspout) which I greased with petroleum jelly.

About twelve hours later the soap was still putting off heat. I assume this was because of the sugar content. Checked it today (3 days) to see if it was ready to unmold and it is pretty hard. Putting allot of weight on it with my thumbs barley dents it. My previous castile soaps have still been a gushy and tacky at this point. It was pretty well set in the mold as well. I threw it in the freezer for about twenty minutes then whacked at the outside for a bit and lickety split the soap slid right out.

So was all that heat from the sugar? Did the heat make it set firmer or is that typical of soaps with yogurt? Also is there a way or need to calculate the fats when using dairy in the soap? I would assume you wouldn't want allot dairy fat hanging out in your soap.

It could be because the soap went through a full gel. I haven't noticed yogurt making my soaps any harder. I don't take the extra fat into consideration, but then I never sf over 5% so a little extra wont hurt mine.

Have you used PVC pipe before?

There is very little surface area for the heat to escape as opposed to a log or slab mold. That plus the added sugars contributed to a hot, long-lasting gel which would leave your soap firm.

I don't bother calculating the fats from animal milks. I do for coconut milk because the fat content can be very high, depending on the brand and how concentrated it is.

With my yogurt bars ive only done a loaf. My yogurt is 9gms fat per serving so I do sometimes lower my superfat but I've done an avocado with it at 7% superfat and it came out very firm right away. Still has a bit of oil seepage 5 weeks or so later but hard as a rock.

My bars tend to gel each time even with unflavored lower sugar yogurt. Think the sugar is still enough to heat it up more.

My bars tend to gel each time even with unflavored lower sugar yogurt. Think the sugar is still enough to heat it up more.

And there's the sugar in the milk the yogurt was made from, even if no extra sugar was added.

Anit

Latest posts

Back