Curing places. Do you change it depending on the season?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
I was wondering if you use the same place to cure your cp soap all year around. Or do you change it depending on the season and temperature? I use a back bedroom, which is the coldest room in the house. It faces north, and doesn't get direct sun through the windows. This is good for summer, but now in the winter it's cold. I was wondering if I should move my soap to another room. Any thoughts? What do you do?

Abigtroutt, by your description are you down by Aligator Alley by Naples? If so isn't it like Miami right now and hot and humid? I'm a Floridian who moved to colder climates and snow, I've never lived on the west coast only the east coast and Orlando (which is an oven, with no air circulation). At least on the coast you have air flow.

NMAriel said:
Abigtroutt, by your description are you down by Aligator Alley by Naples? If so isn't it like Miami right now and hot and humid? I'm a Floridian who moved to colder climates and snow, I've never lived on the west coast only the east coast and Orlando (which is an oven, with no air circulation). At least on the coast you have air flow.

Yes hot an humid today was 80 deg but humity was at about 60%. I love the west coast in Florida....east coast is too much like a big city. I too lived in Orlando and hated it! Way too hot there!!

I keep them in the same place - the laundry room - but in the summer I often keep the door open to keep the humidity down (no AC in there).

It is really best not to cure your soaps in your living space - too much exposure to the fragrance materials IMO.

I don't care what time of year it is, my garage facing Florida's gulf coast is hot and humid no matter what. They are in a spare bedroom on the east side of the house. I have never put much thought into curing, although I know it's important. Everything just gets placed into shoeboxes and flipped a couple times.

abigtroutt said:
Healinya said:
Everything just gets placed into shoeboxes and flipped a couple times.

That is a great idea!!!

Really great. The cardboard would help absorb some humidity when it's warm and provide some insulation when it's cold. Along with protection from dust and other things.

I'm going to see if the local shoe store will give me the empties!

Thank you so much!

I use cardboard boxes. I line the bottom with white paper towel, and each layer of soap. I then put a baby blanket on top of it loosely. I put whole in the side for handles and ventlation. I don't like the different scents mixing, so each soap has it's own box.

Do you order from soaperschoice? I actually save the boxes from them that they send the bottles of oil in. Tape up the top and cut a flap on the wide side. They are very sturdy boxes.

Healinya said:
Do you order from soaperschoice? I actually save the boxes from them that they send the bottles of oil in. Tape up the top and cut a flap on the wide side. They are very sturdy boxes.

I do order from them, but only in the larger sizes. I got some a gallon of glycerin from them before, that would have been a great size. I pretty sure the Famous Footwear in town will give me the unused boxes.

NMAriel - I will line them with some paper towels and cut some vents in the sides. Thanks for the tips

This is a great tip, thanks!!! I worry about dust, too. I have seen where several folks use boxes. For those who use the boxes, does it extend your cure time?

Digit

Back