Cream from cow's milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsnbubbles

Reaction score
I have made soap with cream from raw cow's milk, and always used the cream as part of my water and added it at trace. So just now I was playing with soap calc. and noticed there is a milkfat (bovine) listed with the oils. Was I doing this wrong? Should I be listing this as one of my oils?

In my opinion, no, you weren't doing it wrong. Whenever I use milks, I never count them as part of my oils. Although there might be a few exceptions here and there, I would venture to say that most milk soapers do the same as we do by adding the milk as part of the liquid amount.

IrishLass :)

I don't adjust for goat's milk, cow's milk, cream, coconut milk, yoghurt, buttermilk or any milky thing I've forgotten to mention. I have a 6% lye discount (usually) and the cream or whatever is extra. :wink:

Thanks for your replies! I didn't think I was doing it wrong but I saw that on soap calc. and read what milkfat was and it kinda threw me for a loop. :) I was reading some old posts about using cow's milk and cream and I did see IrishLass that you said you have made some and it smelled kinda sourish. I only made it once before and didn't add any scent and I kinda thought the same thing. But I thought maybe I should try it again and add some scent, I don't know maybe that would just make it worse. :lol:

Latest posts

Back