Crazy things that go through my mind to make soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
I love experimenting, and recently my son gifted me a fragrance for soap that is called margarita, so I thought .... make soap with Tequila? Is that crazy? Would you follow the wine making type procedure? Or would the alcohol be too much ....

I was also looking at a SQ blog where she used the egg on the batter. One person here mentioned that too, cannot recall who .... sorry. Would it be crazy to add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise to the end batter? After all mayonnaise is eggs and oils. I thought it could make the soap creamier ....

Thoughts?

With the tequila, I think it would depend a lot on how you used it. Seems reasonable to me to treat it like wine, except to use less (because of the higher ABV). If you cook off the alcohol, maybe dilute the tequila with some water so it doesn't get too syrupy thick too fast.

I don't have much opinion about the mayo in soap. Never tried it, so I don't know.

That's my $.02.

I know people use whiskey so I see no reason you can't use tequila as long as you get the alcohol removed. I don't think I would like mayo in my soap. Might just be a mental thing but mayo is kinda gross and smells really bad. Its easy to add a yolk to your soap, I've done it before.

I have used whiskey and vodka before without any problems. I slightly cooked off the whiskey and used in place of water, but the vodka I added to the batter later (lower lye solution, then difference in vodka). No problems. Curious to hear what others have done (because I think the same thoughts, SunRiseArts).

No advice to offer about the tequila, but my mind went to the bottle of agave nectar in my pantry. DH needed all of one tablespoon for a recipe that he ended up not making. (grr!)

I'm trying to find uses for it so it doesn't go to waste. Might this be a nice addition to a margarita themed soap?

<...wandering off with my cuppa tea to see if agave nectar is good in hot tea...>

agave nectar is like 70% sucrose, I think, so it will react probably more than honey. But try it! Sounds like something awesome to add!

I do not really drink, so I have no tequila at home. But my son wors at a hotel, and he can buy me one of the tiny bottles. I think I will try it out. Not sure it would add anything to the soap ....

I do like mayo, and don't find it gross, lol. Wish someone would have tried it before I go do something too crazy.

I like to make my cakes from scratch, but when in a hurry for the school or something, I am an expert in hacking the ready made boxes from the grocery store. A couple of table spoons is one of the things I add to the cake batter. That is why I thought about putting it in soap.

I have used Lemoncello in lemon soap, whisky, rum, raspberry liquor, Sambuca and a few others. I also add egg to some soap but find it easiest to use powdered eggs. When I use any alcohol other than beer I just add it in after mixing my colors at light trace. Alcohol can accelerate, but I have had no real problems with it. Beer as water replacement I do heat long enough to burn off the alcohol.

I have heard of some people adding yogurt to soap, so it's not completely out of the question.

I really like egg soap. I have made it several times. I have not used mayo in soap because I prefer it on my vegetarian BLT sandwiches. But I have used yogurt, of course, as so many here probably have at least once or twice.

As for alcohol, other than beer or wine, that's all I've considered for soap and only because we don't drink, but have some left over from our restaurant. The thing is, some of the wine turned to vinegar, so I probably won't be using it as a wine soap.

I used Kombucha tea in soap I make for my SIL and a friend of my eldest son who likes Kombucha. To me Kombucha tea tastes and smells somewhat alcoholic, which seems logical to me since it is fermented. I don't like how it tastes, so buy it only for soapmaking.

Oh, and I actually have added agave nectar to soap instead of honey. And maple syrup as well. I discovered one needs to be stingy with the maple syrup, though. It seems to make the soap a bit bendy/spongy, so it's not a straight across replacement for honey.

Funny that I came across this post. I was searching the forum for something earlier and came across a reply I posted back in 2013 where I was contemplating adding whiskey to a soap. Not sure why I never tried it but seeing this post is making me want to try it. I could see adding mayo to a soap. Would you decrease your superfat amount because of the added fat and is there a chance that the other additives in the mayo could react somehow with the lye solution?

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

If you're ambitious, could always use made from scratch mayo, that way there's no worries over what else might be in it. At its most basic, mayo is egg, oil, and lemon juice.

If it were me, for anything over about a tablespoon I'd consider the oil in it as part of my superfat, and reduce my recipe oils accordingly.

When I made mayo, which I don't anymore, I used oil, eggs and lemon juice and powdered mustard. All (except the mustard) would alter the SF of soap if not accounted for in some way. So what I would do is simply use a recipe with a low SF to start with. Since the amount of lemon juice in mayo is not that great, and obviously, it's mostly oil, plus the eggs, you would be increasing SF by adding mayo.

Latest posts

Back