CP soap issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
I made some cp goatsmilk soap about 4-5 weeks ago, 2 different batches. I packaged them with an attractive cigar band look and now 2 days later I walk into the room and they have all been sweating profusely. We have had heavy rain here the last few days with a bit of sunshine every now and then and I opened the window a couple of days back as well.
Is it humidity or opening the window that has caused this?
How should I be storing my cp soaps to prevent this from happening, especially while they are curing? at the moment I have them set up on a bookshelf, is that too much of an open space? :?

I have a couple of soaps that I noticed sweating in the hot and humid NZ summer (took them down for my SIL). They both were high in linoleic acid, whereas the soaps with a different composition (way less linoleic) did not sweat. Maybe check your fatty acid profile? Other than that, I don't have enough experience with sweating to know...

The only CP soap I have had sweat is my salt bars and I have had much the same weather here....so surf girl may be on to something about the recipe? Most of my soaps are CO 30% OO 25% RBO 25% PO 15% Shea, Mango or Cocoa Butter 5% if that helps comparison for you.

Tanya :)

Do you think that maybe the band isn't letting the soap "breathe" enough?

Is it menopausal like me , my soap doesn't sweat but I do. :wink: TMI I know..

Kitn

Surf girl, what is linoleic acid and would I find out how much is in the soap (pardon my ignorance).
Today I walked into my packaging room and noticed ALL my cp soaps have done the same thing. The wether here is nuts.

Kitn, no the bands on the soap is narrow enough to let air flow through freely.

Sorry i didn't reply sooner we just lost two of our best goats, one being my little soap eating bottle baby Dumpling (she didn't die from the soap) so i've really just been zoning out reading through posts

Kitn said:
Do you think that maybe the band isn't letting the soap "breathe" enough?

Is it menopausal like me , my soap doesn't sweat but I do. :wink: TMI I know..

Kitn

LOL! :D

what is linoleic acid and would I find out how much is in the soap

Linoleic acid is a fatty acid. Oils and fats are known as "triglycerides". That means their molecules are formed by 3 fatty acids, held together by a glycerin molecule. the combination of fatty acids is what gives each oil its characteristics.

To find out how much of each fatty acids you have in your soap, use soapcalc. Under the "soap qualities" box you will find a "fatty acids" box, with the fatty acid percentages for the soap you're making.

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalc18.asp

Galavanting Gifts said:
Sorry i didn't reply sooner we just lost two of our best goats, one being my little soap eating bottle baby Dumpling (she didn't die from the soap) so i've really just been zoning out reading through posts

Oh, the poor things :cry: Your Dumpling sounded so sweet....I hope they didn't suffer too much.

Tanya

Sorry to hear about your goats :( .

Galavanting Gifts said:
Surf girl, what is linoleic acid and would I find out how much is in the soap

Inodoro pretty much answered... I did a little spreadsheet of the various fatty acid compositions of each of my soaps (using the figures from soapcalc.com) so that I can compare the qualities of the soaps I like/don't like vs. their fatty acid profile. It's an interesting exercise.

Oh that's so sad about your goats :(

I made soap on Fiday and have it sitting on my kitchen bench over the weekend and it was all sweaty Monday and Tuesday. Its a recipe I've used before and not noticed a problem. just Olive oil, Coconut oil and some coco butter.

I'm in BRisbane and the weather her was really humid and wet, I figured it was just that, they seem better today ??? Are you anywhere near me? ALthough looking at the map you could be anywhere on the eastern coast and have similar weather.

Hugs - go gently

Oh, the poor things :cry: Your Dumpling sounded so sweet....I hope they didn't suffer too much.

Tanya[/quote]

Sadly Tanya both Jemma and Dumpling had very bad deaths to say the least, I won't go into detail as it was pretty bad. We suspect they got Lantana poisioning.

I'm off to go see if I can work soapcalc out with my soap issue. I put them all away in a cardboard box in the wardrobe and now only residue is left on them rfom where they look liked they sweated.

elizabetty said:
Oh that's so sad about your goats :(

I made soap on Fiday and have it sitting on my kitchen bench over the weekend and it was all sweaty Monday and Tuesday. Its a recipe I've used before and not noticed a problem. just Olive oil, Coconut oil and some coco butter.

I'm in BRisbane and the weather her was really humid and wet, I figured it was just that, they seem better today ??? Are you anywhere near me? ALthough looking at the map you could be anywhere on the eastern coast and have similar weather.

Hugs - go gently

Hey, We're in Brisbane too, on the Northside in Morayfield :D woohoo another "Brisbanite" lol

Oh my goat!!! Soapcalc hates me lol, I got on and thought "WOW this looks awesome, how do I use it?" :lol:

Is it all done in %, if so then i'm in deep trouble. Can I not just put in each oil and how many oz the recipe requires, or do I have to translate my oz to %?

Galavanting Gifts said:
Oh my goat!!! Soapcalc hates me lol, I got on and thought "WOW this looks awesome, how do I use it?" :lol:

Is it all done in %, if so then i'm in deep trouble. Can I not just put in each oil and how many oz the recipe requires, or do I have to translate my oz to %?

You can do either... in the center of the top of the page, you'll see "Total Oil Weight"... just choose pounds, ounces, or grams.

Then, in the Soap Recipe box (where you enter your oils and amounts), just to the right of the percentage field, click the radio button over "oz" (or lbs or grams, depending on which measurement you've selected in the "Total Oil Weight" box).

You can toggle back and forth between entering percentages or hard measurements by clicking the appropriate radio buttons.

Make sense?

Galavanting Gifts said:
Hey, We're in Brisbane too, on the Northside in Morayfield :D woohoo another "Brisbanite" lol

Cool I'm in Arana Hills, so not so far from you!!! do you have goats on your property? My kids would love that :)

I remember as kids the lady up the road had 2 goats for a few months while their owner went away - this is in Hendra so only 10km from the city LOL. But we all had big yards (double blocks) and the lady would take them down to the park for a walk every day.

Back