CP joining

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2Soap

Reaction score
I have a question about CP. I know you can put embeds inside CP, but my question is about CP that's already hardened. Can you add a layer to this AFTER it's hardened? Is there a trick to getting one layer to adhere to the other?

What do you mean by hardened? - an hour, fully saponified soap?

If it's more than a couple day or so I would scratch up the top first and spray it with some alcohol before pouring another layer. I've not had a problem making my cupcake base soaps and then piping the top the next day or so.

I have added layers a full day later...I scored it vertically and horizontally with a fork and got paper towels very wet in super hot water, squeezed the excess, and laid them on the score marks. Did it a second time before pouring.
This was after it was completely zap free and on gelled soap completely hard (not still soft but not as hard as fully cured).
It worked fine.
Others have had no problems pouring layers a day later without the fuss, but it was on a challenge soap and I DIDN'T want to have to make another!

What do you mean by hardened? - an hour, fully saponified soap?

Hardened so the first layer's design won't get disturbed if the mold is tilted.

Awesome - I'm glad to hear that it can be done!!! How long would you wait between layers? I want to do a 4 layer design.

No problem then. I tried "high tops" once with a very slow moving recipe... gave it an alcohol spritz and was good to go.

Do you mean pouring new soap onto already hardened soap? It is possible. The soap needs to be fresh - more than a week or so and it gets tricky. Once I tried painting the first layer with a thin coating of olive oil, thinking it would saponify and glue the old soap and new soap together, the way it will glue soap to a mold. Nope.

If you do this, gelling really helps. It melts the old soap a bit so the two halves stick together.

Do you mean pouring new soap onto already hardened soap? It is possible. The soap needs to be fresh - more than a week or so and it gets tricky. Once I tried painting the first layer with a thin coating of olive oil, thinking it would saponify and glue the old soap and new soap together, the way it will glue soap to a mold. Nope.

If you do this, gelling really helps. It melts the old soap a bit so the two halves stick together.

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

For layering on top of older soaps, I wonder if you could use one of those shrink wrap heat guns/blowers on the surface of the older soap after scoring it to get it really good and hot and sticky before pouring on the new layer. I have one of them to shrink-wrap my lip balm tubes, and it gets really hot. Hmmm......

IrishLass :)

Back