Copper Leafing - UPDATED Pic 5/27

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studioalamode

Reaction score
I just made the prettiest pear novelty soaps. I used a ginger-spice recipe (1T ginger, 1/2 t. nutmeg to 1/2 cup melted base -- I used white this time for an opaque look -- it is one of my favorites)... anyway, when I unmolded them, I used copper leafing on the leaves and on some of the curves of the pears themselves. They turned out really pretty. While I like the finished product, I had a bit of trouble with the leaving - it kept sticking to my fingers. I have never used leafing before. If anyone has a trick to "manage" it, I could sure use some tips.

Thanks!

I will try to take some pics... gotta locate the camera. It may be tomorrow - hubby is buggin' me to go for a walk. In fact he's standing over me. :D

OK. here's a picture, but I can't get the lighting right to not have the copper look like it is out of place - it looks very stark and rigid in these pics, but in actuality, it is smooth and blends well with the curves of the pears.

I'm used to photographing jewelry -- I don't have my soap photo skills down yet.... the copper just photographs real shiny compared to the dull soap.

If you use leaf (gold, silver, copper, etc.) you can wear clean white cotton gloves, or apply a bit of talc or cornstarch to your hands before hadling the leaf.

While I really like the look of those soaps, what are the liabilities with using leaf on them? Or is it a special leaf for soaps?? Just wondering as I haven't seen anyone do that before..

I haven't got the quote thing down yet, so this is in reponse to the question about liability. I don't know. I saw this in a book. Thanks for the tip on using powder -- great idea I will try it! I have some angels I want to do the same thing with on their wings.

If I can't get a definitive answer, I will likely label these for "decorative use only" or something like that. However, since there is no caution on the package for special handling, my guess is I will find that there is no risk. VERY good thought and I'm glad you brought it up, Angbaby.

[/quote]

Found this on a MSDS for gold leaf:
SECTION VI – HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION
Target organs: Respiratory system, nasal septum, skin, eyes, gastrointestinal, kidneys, liver, cardiovascular system.
Primary entry routes: Inalation, ingestion, skin or eye contact.
Health effects:
Copper dusts and mists are eye and mucous membrane irritants, primary skin irritants and skin
sensitizers. Acute exposure may cause metallic taste and nasal ulceration and perforation.
Prolonged skin contact nay produce sensitization dermatitis. Exposure may result in irritation and metalfume
fever, metallic taste, and discoloration of the skin and hair. Ingestion of copper compounds may
cause vomiting and collapse. Acute posioning is characterized by hemolysis, jaundice, anuria, hypotension,
and convulsions. If exposed to excessively high temperatures, zinc metal fumes cause metal
fume fever. Aluminum metallic powder is an eye and mucous membrane irritant.
First Aid:
Eye Contact: Immediately wash the eyes with large amounts of water, occasionally lifting the lower and upper lids.
Seek medical attention immediately. Contact lenses should not be worn.
Skin Contact: Flush contaminated skin with water. Get medical attention if irritation occurs/perisists.
Inhalation: Move the exposed person to fresh air at once. If breathing has stopped, perform artificial respiration.
Keep the affected person warn and at rest. Get medical attention as soon as possible.
Ingestion: Emergency treatment - dilute with water or milk. Remove by gastric lavage (i.e. stomach tube) unless
patient is vomiting get medical attention as soon as possible.

I also found that most metallic leaf products are skin irritants, so maybe would be best to label them for decorative use only???

Thanks Angbaby - I agree after that huge warning (reminds me of those drug ads on T.V.... "may cause limbs to drop off"...) that they should definitely be labelled for decorative use only.

Appreciate your doing the research. Do you have a direct link to MSDS information that you could provide us for future reference?

I like your leafing technique a lot , well done. I use gloves to handle to leaf and a small paint brush to rub the leaf on the item . I have to say I haven't tried it on soap just wood and plaster. Very cool idea ..

Kitn

Update on the outcome: It is getting VERY interesting! The copper leafing is getting a very pretty patina on it. At first it started to look ugly, but the more time that goes buy, it is getting that very blue-green patina on it. They are starting to look antique pears. I will post some pictures in a few days - I will let the patina continue its work. I'm hoping for something very cool in the end... but who knows - they may become an entry in the next ugly contest!

Here's an updated pic... 5/27:

1001360.jpg

This picture is a little dark - the soaps do still have a coppery glow, but there is a lot of patina. I actually really like them. Unfortunately, however, since it is so humid, they started to sweat today... I haven't wrapped them yet because I was trying to let the air make the patina. Next time, I will try to find a happy medium? Does anyone know how to fix the sweating once it starts, or is it even possible?

could you use a thick mica styled paint instead of the leafing stuff. although they put real gold leaf in liquor and we drink it, so maybe in a soap since it is going right off the body and down the drain, it wont bother the skin.

Latest posts

Back