Container to measure lye (Newbie Question)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leLuckyDuck

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been making B&B items (and MP Soap) for some time and am ready to cut my teeth on CP Soap. Done tons of research and watched videos so I think I'm ready. Now... I have a stupid question:

What is a good container to use to weigh the lye? My fear is that when I clean it (if I should), any rouge granules will spray somewhere and get picked up on something and hurt someone. This may be the stupidest question ever!! I am just very afraid of mishandling the lye... Such a fradey cat!

No honest question is stupid. Feel free to ask. I use a disposable plastic cup to weigh the lye. I then rinse the cup and throw it away. I have a stainless steel pitcher that I use to mix the lye solution. That pitcher is used only for my soaping and is stored with my soaping equipment.

I use an old canning jar to measure the DRY lye. My lye solution is mixed in an old rubbermaid canister that doesn't have a lid.

Plastic "pyrex" measuring in 16 oz and 32 oz come in pretty handy for soaporious duties.
Roy

I use a plastic container (like chinese takeout or Tops deli salads)

I prefered a disposable container, such as a plastic or paper cup for measuring dry lye, and I too would just give it a rinse or two then throw it away.

I weigh my lye in a small plastic container (an old baby food take and toss bowl that I never toss) then I add the lye into a metal bowl that has water in it. I don't worry about lye hiding in any part of the containers because when I'm done making soap I submerge them into vinegar. Problem solved

Awesome! Not sure why I didn't think disposable... And vinegar too. You guys and gals rock!

I use a measuring cup for mine and wash it after use. I wash my soaping equipment with my gloves on still and store it separately then my non-soap stuff. Using disposable cups is a really good idea though, I might pick that up if I start using larger amounts of lye.

I use a HDPE (high density plastic) liter container that I got for about $1 at Lowe's. Once you've mixed your lye solution, you can pour a small amount back into your lye measuring container and swish it around, then pour it back, to get the last granules out of that container. I wouldn't recommend it, though, if you're using glass or disposable for measuring.

I measure my dry lye in a clean yogurt or sour cream container...(don't forget to tare your scale before weighing!), then I measure my water/liquid in an old rubbermaid drink pitcher (again don't forget to tare the pitcher).

I measure my lye out into a glass measuring cup, and my water into a plastic pitcher (that I got at the dollar store). Also, remember to add your lye to your water, as to avoid what I've heard called as a "caustic volcano". I don't imagine that's something anyone would like to deal with.

I use stainless steel bowls for the lye and water ... and these are kept for soap making only.

I had a pyrex dish 'crack' a couple of years ago, when I added the lye to the water in it ... so changed to stainless bowls after that.

I dislike using much plastic for many reasons, but I do use it for both weighing lye and for the liquid I mix the lye into. I have read in several places that the plastics safest for mixing lye are PP 2 or HDPE 5. (Lye and water mixed ahead of time should only be stored in HDPE 5.) I think any kind of plastic is safe for measuring the dry lye - I use a plastic dollar store drinking cup. I used to mix my lye in an empty lard bucket (PP 2) but recently I was cleaning out a cabinet and way in the back I found an old 1/2 gallon pitcher (PP 2) that I like better. For cleanup, I rinse with hot water the lye cup, the pitcher, and the silicone spatula I use to stir the lye. I don't use any detergent on them because that can build up on the plastic and cause "floaters" in your soap.

I hope someday to find a stainless steel container for mixing the lye. I know that lye can etch it over time, but that is what I would rather use. I'm constantly scanning the aisles when I shop, looking for the perfect container. :) Until then, it's plastic for me.

Last edited:
I know that some people have used glass with no problems, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED to use glass or pyrex for lye, dry or mixed. The caustic nature of lye can and WILL etch glass, even borisilicate, over time. It may be fine a thousand times, then the thousand and first time it could explode. Or it could do it the fifth time. Okay some people only mix lye outside, okay some people put it in the sink, but if we are really being as safe as possible, why risk it??? Please use only plastic, stainless steel, or even a paper cup for lye. NO GLASS.

I know that some people have used glass with no problems, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED to use glass or pyrex for lye, dry or mixed. The caustic nature of lye can and WILL etch glass, even borisilicate, over time. It may be fine a thousand times, then the thousand and first time it could explode. Or it could do it the fifth time. Okay some people only mix lye outside, okay some people put it in the sink, but if we are really being as safe as possible, why risk it??? Please use only plastic, stainless steel, or even a paper cup for lye. NO GLASS.

Thanks for this information. I will change immediately. I love my pyrex measuring cups and would hate to have one explode.

Back