General Lye Management Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really depends on the chemical, the concentration...and the temperature. For instance, I really wouldn't want to get even a minor hydrofluoric acid burn...but minor lye burns aren't usually life threatening. Also, temperature related burns can do more, more quickly than a lye burn. Obviously you want to avoid getting lye on you, but you do have more time to mitigate the damage say if you got some lye on your forearm versus accidentally catching your arm on an oven rack. Flush the chemical well with water, and you may end up with just minor irritation. You have to respect the chemical, and I would say always wear eye protection if you value your sight, and gloves just because soap can be fiddly...

Since the discussion was lye vs oven, I kept it simple

I still use the bucket system with the Damp Rid in the center, even though I live in a much drier climate now.

I have had the lye mixture on my face, once, I now use goggles. It was close enough to my eye to get my attention. I always use gloves. I pre-measure all the oils, EO/FO, colorants, water, etc, and mix everything that does not involve alkali before putting them on. But once that NaOH or KOH bottle comes out, gloves are on and stay on until cleanup is complete. No long sleeves (taking the shirt off because you have soap batter soaking through it is a problem.) And I generally have shoes on only because I generally wear shoes in the house.

I weigh my lye into small plastic tubs (like those for cottage cheese, butter, sour cream) and do notice static, if some lye granules escape I just wipe up with a wet paper towel. I usually mix up my lye water outside with room temperature distilled water and mix 30% concentration, that seems to get the water up to just under the boiling point (I pour in and wisk at the same time, but that likes to cause problems with steam getting into the container I'm pouring from and making some lye stick to the container, so I pour fast to avoid this as much as possible). Generally I wear gloves doing this, but I've done it without, just be thoughful about the process and you can avoid issues.

Lye granules aren't really a problem, if your hand is dry you can stick your hand into them and not get burned. I wouldn't do this, just because there is no reason to, but just saying it to drive the point home that unless it has some water to dissolve into its not going to destroy things.

Biggest tips I have would be to have a clean work space and any walking path you may use needs to be clear of trip hazards. Have a plan for if you drop something and how to get it contained. Be careful stick blending, I tend to get a bit more ambitious than I should and end up having little splashes out of the pot I'm making it in 😩

Also be respectful of how you store lye and your lye solution. Make sure the containers are tightly sealed and the containers are out of reach of children. Do not store near any acid.

Thank you Zing! It is indeed an addiction. I did 3 more mini batches today. I posted a pic of my first 2 batches on the 'do I cover goats milk soap' thread. They don't look anything special I am just thrilled they didn't go wrong.

I have been lucky that all 5 have gone ok so far and behaved (although I was shocked by the dark brown colour the lye solution turned and how thick it went when I added honey!) That honey soap is a lovely light toffee colour now and smells ok I just hope it doesn't go too dark.

Oh my goodness, you sound like me the first time I made lye solution. :)
I had little tiny lye dust specs that seemed to want to go everywhere. I was making my solution outside bc I thought it might be safer, but because I live in Florida, the air was humid it was reacting with the lye as I was pouring it. >.<
It definitely resulted in a lot of anxiety and overthinking. In my case, having some chemistry knowledge was making it a little worse.
Like you, I came here to see what other's experiences were. You're in good hands here.

Over the past year, I've come to realize what I think you're already suspecting and what others have said.
Yes, it does carry a danger. Yes, you do have to be careful.
No, a tiny spec or bit of dry lye is not going to cause horrible irreparable damage. :)

One of the things that I worried about the most was those little bits. My bottle had quite a bit of superfine particles and it was initially static-y and we don't use dryer sheets. I worried that I'd miss one while cleaning or etc etc.
But I learned something that helped me feel a bit at ease regarding those.
Because lye is SO hydrophilic (water loving), it will pull moisture out of the air, react with that AND with the carbon dioxide to form washing soda which is still caustic but much less so. A full flake or bead of lye will take some time to do that, but a tiny dust like speck would be faster.
I also have a plastic sheet or freezer paper under the area where I'm weighing lye, rinse my mixing spoon and the cup that held the dry lye VERY well, and then set it aside in dishpan to wash with soap later, and wipe down my work area afterward with vinegar.

I also wear sneakers when I soap, partially because I have foot problems that result in a lot of pain if I'm barefoot on hard floors for more than a few minutes, but also because I don't want to take chances.

Now I'm far less intimidated by lye(although very much respectful of it) and instead have focused my anxious energies on making the soap itself. ;)

Be careful, methodical, and mindful, and keep learning as you are, and you'll be ok!

Last edited:
Thank you Lilian, that was a lovely post. It's good to know I am not the only one who felt like this.

I am pleased to say that I have already done 12 mini batches and have got a good routine going. Of those 12 batches I already know I have gone wrong with at least 6 of them even though they haven't cured yet! I understand more about fatty acid profiles now than when I started. Lockdown has meant I have had the time to get stuck in and experiment a bit which is good as the learning curve is steep.

12 mini batches since Wednesday??? Wow.
It took me a year to do 6 full batches. LOL.
When you say mini, what do you mean?

The learning curve certainly is steep, but sounds like you've got a good handle on it already!

I know, its a bit of an obsession at the moment.

I am self employed and my work completely dried up during lockdown so it is keeping me distracted! Each batch is 400g so big enough to try a bar at various cure times but small enough that I don't get over run with soap (although it seems I am already overrun with soap!?!)

I wonder if I should do even smaller batches than this as I think getting the right recipe will take some time.

Don't stick your hand in dry lye.

Just. Don't. Go. There.

Even as a joke or lighthearted comment.

Strong alkali will quickly pull water from the tissues of your skin, even if your skin is reasonably dry to start with. That's one of the reasons why an alkali burn can penetrate deeper into the skin than you'd think it could -- it "eats" its way through the skin layers until it is sufficiently diluted or chemically reacted, or it is removed from the skin.

Please don't make this suggestion again! If this idea gets any tiny degree of plausibility, some gullible person somewhere is going to try it and pay the price.

Latest posts

Back