Colours that bleed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
What does it mean when someone says a colour 'bleeds'? At first I thought it meant the colour would bleed into other colours (or white) when making soap. I didn't have this happen so now I'm wondering does it mean the colour bleeds when you are actually using it as cured soap.

I'm referring specificallty to Lake Red ( I also have Lake Yellow) which I bought in my quest to find a good red for Christmas. Lake Red is nice in the container but it more of a cranberry colour in soap. No 'bleeding' but now I'm using a cured bar in the shower and the red is bleeding out and leaves red water on the soap dish. I didn't use excess colour - I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.

I think I've answered my own question but confirmation would be nice. It disappointing - red is such an expensive colour to buy for some reason. I've since bought the Mad Micas trio which is supposed to make a nice red but such a waste. TIA

Yep, bleeding means it has colored lather or drips in the shower.

Bleeding usually means you've used too much.

Thanks... I usually am conservative with colour but perhaps not with this one. I have a couple more with that colour so time will tell. Specifically is it generally known that Lake colours bleed?

Back