colouring too intense

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mips

Reaction score
Hey,

I try to make small batches of 3 icecube forms at a time... (I do this for testing) but I found out that the liquid coloring I use for it, is very very concentrated. It says max. 1% of coloring for 100ml soap, but if I would do that, the soap turns black, that's how concentrated it is.

So, I tried putting in less.. and I'm on less than 0,01ml on 25ml soap. And it's hard to measure even less than that 0,01, so I was wondering, can I dissolve a bit of my color in water and add it to the soap? I know it will make the soap more liquid, and probably longer before I can take it out of the mold, but could it be a solution for testing out my colors?

I have tried to make baby pink soap, in 25ml and today I tried in 80ml, but even if I try it with 2 colors (red & violet) less than 0,01 per color, it becomes too dark.

When it's ready to take out of the mold, I'll show you a picture of how dark it became when making the 80ml soap... and how not baby pink it is.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Greets,

Kim

Last edited:
Well, that's the problem, they do have dye that is concentrated, but my colouring isn't supposed to be concentrated if I read it on the site... but, it is.

Here is the soap I made today:

f962bf1c-880e-4e21-aba6-b2bcaedc471e_zps038434ea.jpg

Not baby pink, but quite hot pink, sorry for the crappy quality.

The color I'd like to have is:
127.jpg

If you haven't done intricate designs with it, can you just remelt it and add more base to dilute the color?

When in doubt I do a test with just one individual mold, then modify the larger batch as needed. I wouldn't try dissolving in water, but would try liquid glycerin instead for testing.

Yea, but I think the coloring I have is waterbased. It doesn't feel weird on my skin, not oily or slippery...

Latest posts

Back