Coloring mp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I have a bunch of clear mp I'd like to start using up but I don't want it all to be shimmery from mica.
What kind of colors can I use for mp? I'm especially interested in getting a opaque white.
I have plenty of oxides but I have no idea how to incorporate them.

@Obsidian Did you ever try adding the oxides? I used mica, ultramarine violet and a blend of yellow and green oxides to color some shampoo base test bars yesterday. I mixed each of them with a little spritz of 91% IPA. The mica suspended easily, but I may have used too much. The ultramarine was the most stubborn and I ended up with some tiny spots. I had to smoosh the oxides around a bit to get the mixture smooth, but I guess it worked because the oxide bars are spot free.

@Obsidian Did you ever try adding the oxides? I used mica, ultramarine violet and a blend of yellow and green oxides to color some shampoo base test bars yesterday. I mixed each of them with a little spritz of 91% IPA. The mica suspended easily, but I may have used too much. The ultramarine was the most stubborn and I ended up with some tiny spots. I had to smoosh the oxides around a bit to get the mixture smooth, but I guess it worked because the oxide bars are spot free.
No, never did use oxides. I did use charcoal though, it worked well. I mixed it with a little alcohol, really just enough to dampen it.

Mica I just add dry to the melted base, it mixes in well with just a spoon

Back