Colorants?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkCupcake

Reaction score
Up til now, I have only done CP soap, but I want to try some MP. Can anyone recommend a good source for non-bleeding colors? I'm making holiday soaps, so I especially am looking for green and red. Any advice?

Thanks for the recommendations, Savonierre & Crombie! I had looked at a lot of colors, but with my limited funds, I like to buy things that have good reviews.

Thanks, Crombie! I do appreciate your help. I'm ordering tomorrow. Got to be ready for the holidays!

For those of you that do M&P, if I've already pre-mixed a colorant in sweet almond oil can I use it in M&P. The ones I've premixed say that can be used in M&P but not sure if I can use them since they are not preblended in glycerin. TIA

Kazmi - that would probably work fine - but you are very limited in the amount of oil you can add to the MP before you compromise the base. You may need to check the manufacturer of the base you are using to determine the amount of additive you can use.

Thanks Crombie! Since my colorants are concentrated (ie mixed in very little oil) and not much colorant is needed I think I may be ok. I'll check with the manufacturer to be sure.

If you plan on selling just remember many dyes you can use in CP are not ok to use in melt and pour do to labeling laws.

If you plan on selling just remember many dyes you can use in CP are not ok to use in melt and pour do to labeling laws.

Interesting! I don't plan on selling for awhile but am interested in learning more. I'll have to investigate this but I'm assuming you mean some of the dyes not approved for use on skin by FD&C.

Not a safety problem per say. It's that MP is considered a cosmetic and needs to use colors approved for cosmetics and labeled as such. Which seems to rule out a lot of micas. There is an in depth post going on over at the dish about this. To much to repeat over here, but very informative.

Thank you Sistrum for pointing out that the colors mentioned in this post are not cosmetic grade, but marketed for MP. That's a no-no and misleading to the purchaser!

The Dish is The Dish Forum. www.thedishforum.com

Since MP is considered cosmetic by the FDA, only cosmetic grade colorants should be used when coloring them. Most neons are not cosmetic grade. Brambleberry carries cosmetic grade neons here.

I'll have to check my mica's because I think the ones I have are cosmetic grade. Thanks Cosmo and Sistrum for the heads-up. I didn't know that mp is considered cosmetic versus cp not. I think I'm quite a ways away from being ready to ever consider selling. So much to learn besides making soap that people would be interested in paying for.

I'll have to check my mica's because I think the ones I have are cosmetic grade. Thanks Cosmo and Sistrum for the heads-up. I didn't know that mp is considered cosmetic versus cp not. I think I'm quite a ways away from being ready to ever consider selling. So much to learn besides making soap that people would be interested in paying for.

A lot of people don't know Kazmi. I didn't know until I started selling colorants. Well, AFTER I started selling colorants! You are certainly not alone!

Cosmo I've heard good things about your colorants and loved the soaping101 video when she used them. As soon as I need more I planned on trying your new ones. I like that you've tested them in soap whereas the ones I've purchased so far I've had to try in my soaps with a leap of faith.

Back